zpool status - bad result (freenas-boot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassiopeia

Cadet
Hi! I just registered. I am rather new to FreeNAS and I would definitely call myself inexperienced. Though I've been hanging here a bit so I guess I've snapped one or another thing up.

First of all; I've searched the forums and couldn't find a situation that really reflected mine, so I hope I don't double post...

My system consists of consumer hardware; some ASUS motherboard, some Intel i5 processor, 8 GB RAM (no ECC sadly :( ), Intel 1000GT Desktop Adapter (network card).
HDD setup consists of 6 WD 4 TB, and boot device just some no-name USB stick 16 GB.

Okay to the problem, I need help and advise from you knowledgeable now! I got a chock when I run "zpool status" this morning, here's the result:
root@freenas:~ # zpool status
pool: VolumeOne
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 4h28m with 0 errors on Sun Sep 17 04:28:27 2017
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
VolumeOne ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz2-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/8c51b100-7b64-11e7-b253-10bf48bcf526.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/8d50b49a-7b64-11e7-b253-10bf48bcf526.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/8e53042e-7b64-11e7-b253-10bf48bcf526.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/8f4a47eb-7b64-11e7-b253-10bf48bcf526.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/9050eea0-7b64-11e7-b253-10bf48bcf526.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/915aadd7-7b64-11e7-b253-10bf48bcf526.eli ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

pool: freenas-boot
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
corruption. Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
entire pool from backup.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h13m with 5 errors on Fri Oct 6 03:58:50 2017
config:

freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 5
da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 10

errors: 5 data errors, use '-v' for a list

And when I run "zpool status -v":
pool: VolumeOne
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 4h28m with 0 errors on Sun Sep 17 04:28:27 2017
config:

VolumeOne ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz2-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/8c51b100-7b64-11e7-b253-10bf48bcf526.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/8d50b49a-7b64-11e7-b253-10bf48bcf526.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/8e53042e-7b64-11e7-b253-10bf48bcf526.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/8f4a47eb-7b64-11e7-b253-10bf48bcf526.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/9050eea0-7b64-11e7-b253-10bf48bcf526.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/915aadd7-7b64-11e7-b253-10bf48bcf526.eli ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

pool: freenas-boot
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
corruption. Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
entire pool from backup.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h13m with 5 errors on Fri Oct 6 03:58:50 2017
config:

freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 5
da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 10

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

//usr/local/man/man3/gnutls_pkcs12_simple_parse.3.gz
//usr/local/man/man3/gnutls_pkcs12_verify_mac.3.gz
//usr/local/man/man3/gnutls_pkcs7_add_attr.3.gz
//usr/local/man/man3/gnutls_pkcs7_attrs_deinit.3.gz
//usr/local/man/man3/gnutls_pkcs7_deinit.3.gz

Okay so I guess the positive thing is that my pool for storage seems to be alright? It just seems to be the USB boot device being the problem here?

I would also like to add that before I started to using this computer as FreeNAS-server I run memtest for at least 12 hours so memory errors are probably not the problem here (that was some months ago)

I would really appreciate some help here from you. How shall I proceed? How worried shall I be? If you need any more information just say. And please have in mind I'm rather inexperienced ;)

Thank you

Last edited:

garm

Wizard
I would save the config and reinstall on a new Sandisk USB.

Also if you run a mirror boot pool ZFS can correct these errors and you wouldn’t have to reinstall. Just replace the faulty drive.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your output is horribly garbled. Please use CODE tags, not SPOILER tags.

As for your problem, reinstall to new boot media and upload your config. But before you do, read the encrypted pools section of the manual until you are absolutely sure you understand everything.

Cassiopeia

Cadet
I would save the config and reinstall on a new Sandisk USB.

Also if you run a mirror boot pool ZFS can correct these errors and you wouldn’t have to reinstall. Just replace the faulty drive.
Your output is horribly garbled. Please use CODE tags, not SPOILER tags.

As for your problem, reinstall to new boot media and upload your config. But before you do, read the encrypted pools section of the manual until you are absolutely sure you understand everything.

Thank you very much for your answers! If I would have guessed by myself that felt like the most reasonable thing to do. I guess I shouldn't have used that cheap no-name USB-stick from the beginning :'(

As for the encrypted pools section, if you mean about geli-key and so, I'm aware I need to do a backup of that.

Two more things I wonder about;
-Until I have got a new USB-stick and can reinstall - can I "safely" let the FreeNAS-server continue to run like normal? I don't risk corrupted data on my raidz2-pool I mean?
-I am using some plugins, especially Nextcloud. The installation seems to be on my raidz2-pool, will I be able to use this Nextcloud installation after I have reinstalled FreeNAS to a new USB-stick? In other words; will the newly installed FreeNAS find my old jails/plugins?

Thank you again! Feels already better after talking to you guys. Now I just need to find some good USB-stick....

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thank you very much for your answers! If I would have guessed by myself that felt like the most reasonable thing to do. I guess I shouldn't have used that cheap no-name USB-stick from the beginning :'(

As for the encrypted pools section, if you mean about geli-key and so, I'm aware I need to do a backup of that.

Two more things I wonder about;
-Until I have got a new USB-stick and can reinstall - can I "safely" let the FreeNAS-server continue to run like normal? I don't risk corrupted data on my raidz2-pool I mean?
-I am using some plugins, especially Nextcloud. The installation seems to be on my raidz2-pool, will I be able to use this Nextcloud installation after I have reinstalled FreeNAS to a new USB-stick? In other words; will the newly installed FreeNAS find my old jails/plugins?

Thank you again! Feels already better after talking to you guys. Now I just need to find some good USB-stick....
I would get that USB switched it as quick as possible your system could start acting funny.

Cassiopeia

Cadet
I would get that USB switched it as quick as possible your system could start acting funny.
Will absolutely do that. As garm mentioned about mirrored freenas-boot - I will definitively go for that as it at least gives me some redundancy in the future. BUT the big thing I wonder about now - do I dare to let my FreeNAS continue running in the meantime? (not really possible for me to get new USB sticks in this very moment)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
How long are you thinking? It's a random guess in how long things will be ok. Freenas runs out of system ram so it should never need the usb after boot.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Freenas runs out of system ram
No, it doesn't; it hasn't been that way for years (since the release of 9.3, to be specific). The boot device is a live, read/write ZFS pool. ZFS caching means that most of the OS will be in RAM most of the time, but it simply isn't the case that the whole system runs from RAM.

Cassiopeia

Cadet
How long are you thinking? It's a random guess in how long things will be ok. Freenas runs out of system ram so it should never need the usb after boot.
I will probably try to get some new sticks tomorrow as I see this as urgent. So say 24 hours in best case... But yeah I guess no one could know for sure. I just doesn't want my storage-pool to become crippled

danb35

Hall of Famer
A bad boot device should not result in corruption on your data pool. Since the boot device is itself a ZFS pool, everything on it has checksums, and the system will know if any of the system binaries are corrupted (in which case it will refuse to load them).

Cassiopeia

Cadet
A bad boot device should not result in corruption on your data pool. Since the boot device is itself a ZFS pool, everything on it has checksums, and the system will know if any of the system binaries are corrupted (in which case it will refuse to load them).
Feels very good to hear. Thank you danb35!

Cassiopeia

Cadet
Just thought I could give a little "follow-up" on this. I have now successfully replaced the bad usb-stick with a new one. What I thought could be a bit interesting was to check the bad usb-stick for errors. I don't know which tools that are preferable - so I just googled and found something called "Check Flash", I ran it and.. interesting is, it says there are no errors with it! I also ran HD Tunes error scan (the long one), neither that finds anything(!)

Well I guess this just makes me a bit troubled, thoughtful - what was really the "source" of this problem if it wasn't a bad usb-stick (or maybe there's a better tool for checking health of usb-sticks??)

However thank you everyone for your help. I guess this could be marked as 'solved'

Status
Not open for further replies.