Zoneminder on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinDeus

Explorer
Damn, I'm ever so sorry: I never truly got the time to update the guide, and a little bit forgot to do so too :x
Thing is, I'm currently running on FreeNAS 9.10, but still have my old jails partition: I'll first have to decimate all my jails and recreate them, that's a shame...

Or could I just create a new, I don't know, jails_9.10 partition, and switch back to my old jails when/if the migration is incomplete? What do you guys think?

Wallybanger

Contributor
Damn, I'm ever so sorry: I never truly got the time to update the guide, and a little bit forgot to do so too :x
Thing is, I'm currently running on FreeNAS 9.10, but still have my old jails partition: I'll first have to decimate all my jails and recreate them, that's a shame...

Or could I just create a new, I don't know, jails_9.10 partition, and switch back to my old jails when/if the migration is incomplete? What do you guys think?
Not entirely sure what you mean but if you're alluding to a 9.10 guide, I'm all for it :D I'll be installing the latest and greatest when I get my box up and running.

SinDeus

Explorer
Well, I was making reference to this thread, but it seems that 9.3 jails are now fully compatible with 9.10, yay!
I'll try to make a fresh new jail, and install ZoneMinder from scratch.
Thanks @Joshua Parker Ruehlig for pointing out that README file, it sure is helpful.

melloa

Wizard

melloa

Wizard
Well, I was making reference to this thread, but it seems that 9.3 jails are now fully compatible with 9.10, yay!
I'll try to make a fresh new jail, and install ZoneMinder from scratch.
Thanks @Joshua Parker Ruehlig for pointing out that README file, it sure is helpful.

Based on my experience and what I've read, your are correct. Upgrading from 9.3 to 9.10 is easy and jails should continue working, but new jails could have a problem. I think the recommendation is to create a new jail root and reinstall... check the forum for more info.

Also you'd need to work around same DHCP issues. Jails are not quite obtaining an IP from the DHCP server. There is a workaround for it as per developers: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/15817#change-80145

I had gone back 'n forth between 9.3 and 9.10, and had to bite my tongue and migrate to VirtualBox to keep things running, but now am running 9.10 without any issues, using the above workaround.

melloa

Wizard
Little help to someone with zero experience with FreeBSD ... ME :)

The readme says:

New installs
============

ZoneMinder requires a MySQL (or MySQL forks) database backend and
a http server, capable to execute PHP and CGI scripts.

So I went ahead and installed mysql ...

When installing zoneminder ...

[zm] [84/86] Installing zoneminder-1.30.0...
[zm] [84/86] Extracting zoneminder-1.30.0: 100%
[zm] [85/86] Installing nvidia-driver-346.96...
[zm] [85/86] Extracting nvidia-driver-346.96: 100%
ELF binary type "3" not known.
/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig: Exec format error
[zm] [86/86] Installing mariadb101-client-10.1.14...
pkg: mariadb101-client-10.1.14 conflicts with mysql56-client-5.6.30 (installs files into the same place). Problematic file: /usr/local/bin/msql2mysql

and the installation shows:

[zm] [79/86] Installing mysql56-client-5.6.30...
[zm] [79/86] Extracting mysql56-client-5.6.30: 100%

I'm wondering how maria got invited to this party ... I only installed mysql with:

pkg install mysql55-server.

Does that install MariaDB instead?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Little help to someone with zero experience with FreeBSD ... ME :)

The readme says:

New installs
============

ZoneMinder requires a MySQL (or MySQL forks) database backend and
a http server, capable to execute PHP and CGI scripts.

So I went ahead and installed mysql ...

When installing zoneminder ...

[zm] [84/86] Installing zoneminder-1.30.0...
[zm] [84/86] Extracting zoneminder-1.30.0: 100%
[zm] [85/86] Installing nvidia-driver-346.96...
[zm] [85/86] Extracting nvidia-driver-346.96: 100%
ELF binary type "3" not known.
/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig: Exec format error
[zm] [86/86] Installing mariadb101-client-10.1.14...
pkg: mariadb101-client-10.1.14 conflicts with mysql56-client-5.6.30 (installs files into the same place). Problematic file: /usr/local/bin/msql2mysql

and the installation shows:

[zm] [79/86] Installing mysql56-client-5.6.30...
[zm] [79/86] Extracting mysql56-client-5.6.30: 100%

I'm wondering how maria got invited to this party ... I only installed mysql with:

pkg install mysql55-server.

Does that install MariaDB instead?
Nope, that command is to install exactly what it sounds like.

Somehow mariadb-client was pulled in somewhere else. There is weird stuff going on with your dependency resolution.
I don't understand why the nvidia driver is getting pulled in too.

I just tried it on a FreeBSD 10.3 based system and it didn't pull in mariadb, though it did bring in all the extra X / GPU drivers =/

####

I have a feeling somethings messed up with the package builds this week.
http://www.freshports.org/x11/nvidia-driver/ says it's not depended upon by any other ports, so somehow the build servers got some non-standard config options.
You could always 'make config-recursive install' and choose what you want to install

Last edited:

melloa

Wizard

melloa

Wizard
Ok, thanks. Let me do another fresh install. pkg should resolve all dependencies and install all, so ...

Didn't work. Installed FEMP, plus fast cgi wraper and pkg install zoneminder failed:

If X.org cannot start and reports

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to obtain a shared memory identifier.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Didn't work. Installed FEMP, plus fast cgi wraper and pkg install zoneminder failed:

If X.org cannot start and reports

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to obtain a shared memory identifier.
I'm not sure why nvidia crap is beng pulled in. I'd personally compile ffmpeg from ports and disable all the crap not needed

melloa

Wizard
Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
The people who ported it to freebsd are github.com/abishai/ and I.
we both had it building well but we both fairly comfortable with freebsd.

from what you posted, it sound like dependency complications that to me seem pretty easy to resolve =P. try uninstalling all mysql/mariadb packages, then install zoneminder. then install your mysql server, force (-f) remove mariadb/mysql client packages that conflict if needed.

melloa

Wizard
The people who ported it to freebsd are github.com/abishai/ and I.
we both had it building well but we both fairly comfortable with freebsd.

from what you posted, it sound like dependency complications that to me seem pretty easy to resolve =P. try uninstalling all mysql/mariadb packages, then install zoneminder. then install your mysql server, force (-f) remove mariadb/mysql client packages that conflict if needed.

Great! Got in contact with someone that can help me :) (yeap ... kind of selfish self).

Seriously. I know zero about FeeBSD. Am somehow comfortable with Linux and got it running in 15 minutes in ubuntu and centos, just for the sake of it. As my goal is to learn a little more about FreeBSD, I'm trying ZM first as could be a good one to migrate to FN and not have a box with 8T only for ZM. During my researches I was able to use FN cifs for it, witch took awhile to work access rights for ZM/cif, but got it.

My final goal is to have something that a regular Joe, like me, can follow and have ZM working. If will take 1,000 steps to install, or a click of a bottom, is not important to my point of view, but a how-to get there that can be followed by anyone or skipped 90% by the FreeBSD gurus.

Hope to continue later on this and - crossed finger - will get there.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
sounds like a good plan. I'd recommend starting out with 'pkg install zoneminder' and see what mysql client it wants. then install the server, using the forced deinstall I mentioned is a good trick too.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
BTW, it looks like freshports isn't showing all the extra unneeded X dependencies anymore. must have been something weird on the build servers.

melloa

Wizard
BTW, it looks like freshports isn't showing all the extra unneeded X dependencies anymore. must have been something weird on the build servers.

By the way, before you saying that some posts above, I was exchanging e-mails with Abi. Small world.

melloa

Wizard
Joshua, question, on the github readme we have: "Now, enable and start MySQL sysrc mysql_server_enable="YES""

When trying to start mysql with: service mysql-server start

An error tells me to set: mysql_enable="YES"

I did edit my rc.conf and changed to above and mysql started. Witch one is the correct? Thanks!

--- Added ---

Also the zm_create.sql seems to be in another directory. Found that the command below worked:

root@freebsd-1:~ # mysql -u root -p zm < /usr/local/share/doc/zoneminder/zm_create.sql

but:

root@freebsd-1:~ # service zoneminder start
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/zoneminder: ERROR: zoneminder: mysqltest command failed

Will re-check later.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
@melloa
if you run that 'sysrc' command it does the rc.conf editing for you. it's "mysql_server_enable"

zm_create. sql should be in the share directory. it looks like to me you installed an older version of ZM. please compile from ports if 1.30 isn't available from your repo

mysql needs to be started, and the connection setup as mentioned in (2) for ZM to start

melloa

Wizard
@melloa
if you run that 'sysrc' command it does the rc.conf editing for you. it's "mysql_server_enable"

zm_create. sql should be in the share directory. it looks like to me you installed an older version of ZM. please compile from ports if 1.30 isn't available from your repo

mysql needs to be started, and the connection setup as mentioned in (2) for ZM to start

Joshua,

Let me start saying that I know nothing about UNIX, FreeBSD, Linus, etc. What I do I do for pleasure (masochism?) and learning, so forgive my mistakes and questions.

the attached file my help you find out what I've done wrong and, in the process, we can write something for the forum.

Attachments

• Zoneminder FreeBSD installation 0.01.pdf
    349.7 KB · Views: 3,256

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
wow, that could be pretty professional looking with some fine tuning. nice job

I'd rather not contribute too much, sorry, my guides/notes to myself are always as barren as possible to keep the person guessing, lol.

here's some suggestions on what you have.
* why are you installing php / php-mysl? these are dependencies of ZM and will be installed with it.
* why do you say to edit rc.conf in some places, and use sysrc in others? I prefer, in guides to just do everything with sysrc.
* why is your nginx config so complicated? ZM can live with the simple one from the readme, you even split pathinfo... ZM doesn't even use pathinfo

Status
Not open for further replies.