Status
Not open for further replies.

melloa

Wizard
98.9% there.

upload_2016-6-17_14-19-42.png

melloa

Wizard
ZM running and CSS problem fixed. Thank you Abi!

Cameras are still not working, but are next on the list. Any volunteers?

upload_2016-6-17_15-19-3.png

melloa

Wizard
Guess what ?

upload_2016-6-17_17-15-6.png

melloa

Wizard
Now is up to you guys to test in a FN 9.10 jail. Worked on a FreeBSD 10.3 VM.

Attachments

• Zoneminder FreeBSD installation 1.00.pdf
    520.7 KB · Views: 2,381

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm working through the guide (building zoneminder right now), and of course there are a lot of option screens for a lot of packages that are pulled in as dependencies for zoneminder. So far, I'm leaving them all at the default setting. Is this correct, or should any of them be changed?

I'm suspecting that the zoneminder build might go faster (fewer dependencies to build) if the FEMP stack is installed first, but for the first go, I'm just working through the steps in order.

melloa

Wizard
I'm working through the guide (building zoneminder right now), and of course there are a lot of option screens for a lot of packages that are pulled in as dependencies for zoneminder. So far, I'm leaving them all at the default setting. Is this correct, or should any of them be changed?

I'm suspecting that the zoneminder build might go faster (fewer dependencies to build) if the FEMP stack is installed first, but for the first go, I'm just working through the steps in order.

I wouldn't know how to answer those questions. In my case I did let all default options to be installed for ZM when making. You might be right when saying that removing some can speed up things, but I'd think that only the port maintainer would know. His e-mail is at the last page of the document.

The first version I wrote had FEMP been installed first, but I was told that was better do ZM first to let it install all dependencies, so changed the order.

That also caused (or helped) us to find some dependencies that were not installed, not sure because the assumption that FEMP was installed to begin with by the port maintainer, but when you look what I installed here:

pkg install nginx mysql56-server php56-mysql php56-pdo_mysql php56-gd fcgiwrap php56-session

It is a little bit more than a "regular" FEMP, I think, but again I know zero about BSD/Linux/etc.

Talking about the above line, I just noticed that the word "session" split to a second line when I copied and pasted, so get this in one line to install all (like I needed to tell you this :) )

Also please let me know if you have any problem with the sample for nginx.conf. I've installed last night on my FreeNAS jail and it copied funny from the doc, so I used the original from the FreeBSD VM. That actually worked on FN with my 10 cameras.

abi

Cadet

You can disable all X related stuff for any port (you, obviously don't need X on the server) and all options from ffmpeg except SSE/MMX and fontconfig/true type support. This will save you hours compiling (because something pulls llvm on default settings).

melloa

Wizard
You can disable all X related stuff for any port (you, obviously don't need X on the server) and all options from ffmpeg except SSE/MMX and fontconfig/true type support. This will save you hours compiling (because something pulls llvm on default settings).

If someone want to capture the screens with the options above removed and send to me, I can change the how-to and send a new one.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't know how to answer those questions. In my case I did let all default options to be installed for ZM when making. You might be right when saying that removing some can speed up things, but I'd think that only the port maintainer would know. His e-mail is at the last page of the document.

The first version I wrote had FEMP been installed first, but I was told that was better do ZM first to let it install all dependencies, so changed the order.

That also caused (or helped) us to find some dependencies that were not installed, not sure because the assumption that FEMP was installed to begin with by the port maintainer, but when you look what I installed here:

pkg install nginx mysql56-server php56-mysql php56-pdo_mysql php56-gd fcgiwrap php56-session

It is a little bit more than a "regular" FEMP, I think, but again I know zero about BSD/Linux/etc.

Talking about the above line, I just noticed that the word "session" split to a second line when I copied and pasted, so get this in one line to install all (like I needed to tell you this :) )

Also please let me know if you have any problem with the sample for nginx.conf. I've installed last night on my FreeNAS jail and it copied funny from the doc, so I used the original from the FreeBSD VM. That actually worked on FN with my 10 cameras.
Just to reiterate, if 'pkg install zoneminder' worked as intended it would pull in all the php dependencies you need, but since everyone seems to be compiling from ports using 'pkg' first does speed things up. For example if I were documenting this, this is all I would have 'pkg install zoneminder fcgiwrap nginx mysql56-server'

why are you install php56-gd?

##EDIT##
I think the php dependencies aren't being pulled because of a bug in the port Makefile
https://github.com/abishai/Zoneminder-port/issues/14#issuecomment-226957851
Hopefully we can get everything really straight forward to install when v1.30 is official

Last edited:

melloa

Wizard
pkg is pulling the old version (1.25) when the stable one is 1.29, so you asked me to make instead. php56-gd is needed if you plan to use ZMNinja as per Abi, so I'd think could be added as dependency for the new go around with the others I'm installing that you'd not consider part of a regular FEMP...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
pkg is pulling the old version (1.25) when the stable one is 1.29, so you asked me to make instead. php56-gd is needed if you plan to use ZMNinja as per Abi, so I'd think could be added as dependency for the new go around with the others I'm installing that you'd not consider part of a regular FEMP...
yeah, wasn;t saying you were doing it wrong, just clarifying pkg should be doing the dependencies for us.

Hmm, sounds good. I'll add gd on my system. I got my production system setup today, playing around with ZMNinja too.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is anyone else having trouble downloading packages? I've been getting persistent, but inconsistent, timeouts from pkg.FreeBSD.org for the last day or so trying to download anything.

melloa

Wizard
Is anyone else having trouble downloading packages? I've been getting persistent, but inconsistent, timeouts from pkg.FreeBSD.org for the last day or so trying to download anything.

No, I've installed several times during the write-up of the doc and did twice to testL One of FreeBSD and one on FreeNAS jail without any issues downloading.

Question thought: I've seem several sites pointing to Eastern Europe, if I'm not mistaken, as default or 1st attempt. Was it my impression? Shouldn't my box try the closest ones? (Just trying to learn ... :) )

SinDeus

Explorer
Finally!

I've got it working in a vanilla FreeNAS 9.10 jail. I started from scratch, but encountered lots of issues.
Next step: start again (from another brand new jail). To be sure that the guide works.

melloa

Wizard
Finally!

I've got it working in a vanilla FreeNAS 9.10 jail. I started from scratch, but encountered lots of issues.
Next step: start again (from another brand new jail). To be sure that the guide works.

Thanks for testing. I did install it twice from the guide and did work. If you find anything that can be changed to make it easier and/or if there are any missing/wrong steps, please let me know so I can make the changes.

SinDeus

Explorer
Thanks for testing. I did install it twice from the guide and did work. If you find anything that can be changed to make it easier and/or if there are any missing/wrong steps, please let me know so I can make the changes.
Actually, I installed without following your guide, for I haven't noticed it! By comparing the two, I see that we did things the same way (I just went for PHP 7.0 instead of 5.6). Great guide! I'll follow it for my next test.

melloa

Wizard
Actually, I installed without following your guide, for I haven't noticed it! By comparing the two, I see that we did things the same way (I just went for PHP 7.0 instead of 5.6). Great guide! I'll follow it for my next test.

Should I change it to php 7.0? I still have two items that concerns me:

1 - pkg was pulling 1.25 when the last stable it 1.29
2 - Making it is installing 1.30 that's not stable yet

So I'm not sure if and when pkg will be pulling the latest stable, so will be as easy as Joshua described and if the current make will need change or not when 1.30 become stable -- all newbie's questions for sure :)

SinDeus

Explorer
PHP 7.0 is overall a good iteration of PHP, with all the retro-compatability you could expect. So, if nothing breaks (I have no complaint so far), you can go with it.
I also installed ZM 1.30: I will test it out for a few days to see if there are issues with it. But it's strange: I pulled the 1.30 version from pkg, whereas you got the 1.25...

melloa

Wizard
PHP 7.0 is overall a good iteration of PHP, with all the retro-compatability you could expect. So, if nothing breaks (I have no complaint so far), you can go with it.
I also installed ZM 1.30: I will test it out for a few days to see if there are issues with it. But it's strange: I pulled the 1.30 version from pkg, whereas you got the 1.25...

hmmm ... someone fixed it :) I just tried. Let me do the command Joshua suggested above and test: pkg install zoneminder nginx mysql56-server php56-mysql php70-pdo_mysql php70-gd fcgiwrap php70-session

SinDeus

Explorer
Status
Not open for further replies.