Zoneminder on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowvin

Explorer
Great work @Hisma !
And @SinDeus, your guide really does deserve a new post in the how to section! Might need a bit of tweaking for 9.3 though.

In regards to missing modules and packages. Here's a link on how to install a FAMP Stack. (FreeBSD, Apache, Mysql, Php). It's 10.1 FreeBSD, but for the most part all the commands seem to work.

I'm going through the process now of trying to use pkg instead of ports. (I got hung up trying to install the php module for apache.
My jail just wouldn't accept it. Something about 5.5 lang not accepting.
Code:
root@webserver:/usr/ports/lang/php55-extensions # cd /usr/ports/www/mod_php5
root@webserver:/usr/ports/www/mod_php5 # make install clean

Wish me luck!

Edit: https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...ache-mysql-and-php-famp-stack-on-freebsd-10-1

Last edited:

Krowvin

Explorer
Well would you look at that!
FHHPXHK.png

Attachments

• lookit.png
    lookit.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 647

danb35

Hall of Famer
That's looking promising! I decided to build an Ubuntu VM, since there are Ubuntu packages for the latest version of Zoneminder, but the ability to save that overhead would also be nice. If the package version works, you'd be pretty well set.

BTW, I think you're missing the link to installing the FAMP stack.

Krowvin

Explorer
Ah thanks! Fixed the link. I should note, I think this port is considerably old. Once you install it you get a list of instructions on how to set it up. Still working my way through it.

Hisma

Explorer
Good luck. I don't think that port is up to date for 9.3. You'll soon find it needs significant modifications to even get it to start, let alone fully function properly.

RAurelian

Dabbler
Although this does not help you with ZoneMinder, I also recommend trying out BlueIris first.

I installed it in a Win 8.1 VirtualBox VM on FreeNAS and it works perfectly. You do need quite some CPU power, especially if you have a lot of cameras and need recoding / motion detection on many of them.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks @SinDeus for documenting your work on this. I've been dreaming of getting zoneminder running on freebsd/freenas since I had an Ubuntu server running it in 2011. (Imagine a bunch of college guys spying on each other on cheap USB webcams)

I spent some time this weekend compiling the latest version of zoneminder on freebsd and it worked thanks to the work done here
https://github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinder/pull/775.
Hopefully one day I, or others, can accomplish the following.
- update the port to 1.28.2 once it's released. see my notes here https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=190268#c7
- create a freenas PBI that installs and configures apache and mysql

I don't have much time right now (studying for my PE test in October) so don't expect anything major from me until after that. but, anyone else is free to take on this challenge.

VLD

Cadet
Hi SinDeus!
Very good instruction!! Thanks!
My system: NAS4free 9.3.0.2. FreeBSD 9.3. x64 Intel Pentium G640 2.8 GHz.
I am setup Apache and MSQL. There were a few mistakes, but reinstallation of modules all mistakes cleaned. The Apache and MSQL started! But wnen start a zoneminder gave out the following mistakes:

Starting zoneminder.

Bareword "ZM_PATH_LOGS" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/ZoneMinder/Logger.pm line 153.

BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/ZoneMinder/Logger.pm line 168.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/ZoneMinder.pm line 34.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/ZoneMinder.pm line 34.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/bin/zmpkg.pl line 37.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/zmpkg.pl line 37.

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/zoneminder: WARNING: failed to start zoneminder

May be you can help me to solve they? Thanks. Vladyslav.

aloisio mello

Dabbler
Folks,

Last post here was back on 2015, so I'm checking if there were any progress since.

I do have my zoneminder running on a dedicated server with 4T local storage, but would love to get it running inside my FN.

Tried to follow SinDeus instructions but that was for old ports/FN version, so trying to follow the yellow brick road with the new ports and see if will have any lucky. The odd think is there is a port for zoneminder, so will try both.

Any success story will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Al

freenas4n00b

Explorer
I would hold off a little bit. Freenas 9.10 just released today and it comes with Bhyve. With that you can deploy linux virtual machines which would be a lot easier than dealing with Freebsd ports (unless you are really good with freebsd already).
IE it should be as easy as deploying an ubuntu VM and following zoneminder developer's instructions for install.
Reason why i said wait a little bit is to let people flush out using the new OS. I am personally waiting a week for the first round of updates to flush out the first set of bugs.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
if you're willing to help develop the freebsd port compiling the latest version on freebsd is working. there's a few issues related to this on the zoneminder github repo

SinDeus

Explorer
Folks,

Last post here was back on 2015, so I'm checking if there were any progress since.

I do have my zoneminder running on a dedicated server with 4T local storage, but would love to get it running inside my FN.

Tried to follow SinDeus instructions but that was for old ports/FN version, so trying to follow the yellow brick road with the new ports and see if will have any lucky. The odd think is there is a port for zoneminder, so will try both.

Any success story will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Al

I have successfully set up ZoneMinder on my up-to-date FreeNas server, with the use of packages instead of ports. It runs fine (that was, like, months ago). I could try and update the guide for 9.3 if you like.

aloisio mello

Dabbler
OH YES! Please :)

I'm planning to move mine from a dedicated server to FN.

SinDeus

Explorer
As soon as I have some time (a time-consuming mini-version of me crawls currently on the floor), I will post a new guide specific for 9.3. I first will have to remember all the steps...

aloisio mello

Dabbler
I would hold off a little bit. Freenas 9.10 just released today and it comes with Bhyve. With that you can deploy linux virtual machines which would be a lot easier than dealing with Freebsd ports (unless you are really good with freebsd already).
IE it should be as easy as deploying an ubuntu VM and following zoneminder developer's instructions for install.
Reason why i said wait a little bit is to let people flush out using the new OS. I am personally waiting a week for the first round of updates to flush out the first set of bugs.

Good call on 9.10 release, but me personally like to run things outside VMs :)

I do have a VMWare server for testing, but don't use it for more than that.

aloisio mello

Dabbler
if you're willing to help develop the freebsd port compiling the latest version on freebsd is working. there's a few issues related to this on the zoneminder github repo

I which I knew to be able to help. Not that I can't learn, but with work, guitar lessons, learning CentOS, pfsense, and FN at the same time it's hard :)

melloa

Wizard
For you guys that are still interested, running on a virtualbox jail. Only one camera, as this is a test site. Planning to wait for FN 10 stable to test it in my main box:

upload_2016-6-12_19-47-2.png

Note the load with one camera: 0.23, on a:
Build FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606072003 (696eba7)
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Memory 3962MB
2 TB pool

and only running ZM and urbackup.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
The port for zoneminder 1.30 RC1 is available. For optimal performance you should mount tmpfs to the jail's /tmp, which you could do with a startup command '/sbin/mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /mnt/tank/jails/zm/tmp/'

I plan on setting up my production system this week, with four 3MP cameras.

Wallybanger

Contributor
Tagged for interest. I'm going to be building a box VERY soon and would really like to have Zoneminder running on it. @SinDeus, if you can update your guide it would be greatly appreciated :)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.