ZFS unable to import pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 8.0.4 system with a RAIDZ1 setup of 5x 1TB drives named 'Theater' that had a drive fail last week. Fortunately I had instant product replacement on the drive (first Seagate drive to fail) so swapped it out with a new one and resilvered the pool, no problems once I found a good clear set of instructions on the process and it was clear in my head before I got started. As was mentioned in the instruction in the 4 N00bs section, I noticed the list of drives in the UI did not match reality (the new drive information was not updated. In the steps it said to export the pool then auto-import it. With no problems thus far, I figured it shouldn't be a problem. I exported it without destroying the data, then proceeded to attempt to auto-import. The popup window however had no options in the pulldown, so I decided to try the CLI.

When I run
'zpool import'
my pool Theater comes up and says all 5 drives are online and can be imported, but when I run

'zpool import Theater'
I get a response of "cannot mount '/Theater': failed to create mountpoint"
I run the same command and get instead "cannot import 'Theater': no such pool available.

While it would be nice for the GUI to work, it seems as though I am going to have to poke through the mess using the CLI (not a problem, just means more typing). One thing to note, on the first inspection after being unable to auto-import, I noticed the /mnt/Theater folder had a bunch of hidden folders in it, but none of my documents. After rebooting, the /mnt/Theater folder was gone.

With the initial import search finding the drives, I am fairly confident the data is intact, I just cannot seem to import the information back into FreeNAS so that I can get all that data back onto my TV (thankfully I had the insight to back up my most important TV shows before I attempted to perform the export/import). Had anyone run into this, as I feel it should be an easy fix I simply have not been able to find in any forums yet. Currently I managed to do a scrub on the aforementioned missing pool, which I found kind odd, but after I started the scrub I was able to view the status from the CLI, so not sure whats going on..

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Eldon Siemens,

Try the "Auto-Import" button in "Volumes" -> "View Volumes".

-Will

Auto-Import was the first thing I tried, but the form comes up blank, with no entries in the pulldown where Theater should be. Perhaps I should ask if an upgrade to 8.2 may resolve the problem?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
before you run 'zpool import' run 'mount -uw /' I think /mnt is unwriteable normally. You couldn't import it the second time cause it was imported, just not mounted. Goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.