Can't import existing Softraid ZFS Volume. FreeNAS 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starscream

Cadet
I had FreeNAS 8 running sweet from a USB flash drive along with a Softraid ZFS volume comprising two 500gb IDE hard disks.

The USB flash drive died so I decided to install an extra IDE (80gb) hard drive as the system drive.

Bios detects all the drives ok and when in FreeNAS webgui it looks like I can create raid volumes but not import them? I tried auto-import and it shows the softraid zfs volume but when I click it and then import it looks to work for a few seconds then the window closes and there are still no volumes, I've refreshed and rebooted several times and tried the auto-import but still the same happens.

It's as if it can see the zfs raid volume but for some reason doesn't fully import it so I can't use it. There is data I would prefer to keep but it's not the end of the world if I delete it but this is the 2nd time this sort of thing has happened to me after a freenas 8 system fail and I've been unable to import the old volumes.

I don't think I had this issue in FreeNAS 7 and I could have sworn there was a raid import option instead of using auto-import

Any ideas?

ProtoSD

MVP
Are you using FreeNAS 8.0? This version has problems with the auto import. Try using 8.01 beta4, that should get you going again.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Try to reset your configuration to factory settings. I had a similar problem last week on Beta-4 while messing around trying to cause problems and see what limitations there were. I had to reset the configuration, reboot, then auto-import worked for me. YMMV. You should also be able to import via the CLI.

Starscream

Cadet
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try installed 8.01 and then if that fails I'll try doing a factory reset.

Do you know if it's possible to do an update via CLI and the web instead of using the CD? It's a remote machine and it's a pain to run CDs from it.

warri

Guru
I think they increased the system partition size to 2 GB in BETA3, so probably a fresh install is needed.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The partition size is only created when the volumes are initially created. You can change that value in the GUI but the value must be in increments of a full GB. You can enter a value of 1 for a 1GB, that's what I have done. The GUI cannot change a current Volume Swap file size to smaller or larger, it's only when the volume is created. Not sure what the swap file has to do with this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.