ZFS Snapshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, it's like this..... nothing in this life is had for free. You generally pay to gain knowledge and experience. Whether that "payment" is in points, dollars, time, or blood, you have to pay for it somehow. Nobody seems to be interesting in spending any of those things, or anything else. They want it to "just work". There are OSes that "just work" MacOSX is constantly claiming to "just work". And you want to know a secret? OSX was going to get ZFS a few years ago. They decided to yank it out though(even after publicly announcing it) and allegedly it was because they determined they could never simplify ZFS down enough to make it work for everyone. There was too many requirements, too much knowledge that would be required, and they expected too many complaints. Since OSX is all about stuff 'just working' that didn't fit their mantra, so they yanked it.

FreeNAS is also quite powerful with what it chooses to do. And just like when you invent some new dangerous weapon that could be used against another country(for example, nuclear weapons) a certain amount of responsibility is expected. If that responsibility is unacceptably high, then feel free to not accept that responsibility. My mom, who is no IT person by any stretch of the imagination, could never ever get FreeNAS to work. It doesn't matter how much documentation you provide. I know *plenty* of IT people that don't fare much better than my mom, yet they are employed. Many people I've seen in the forums over my 2+ years here I've had to shake my head and wonder how they ever got the idea they should work in IT because they shouldn't.

The fact that you work in IT is no promise that if you can't get it that its not your fault. It's proof that you've likely been generally successful at solving problems in IT relative to other people. To my mom, if you know how to change the font in Microsoft Word you are "an IT guy". But we all know that because you can change the font in Word does NOT make you "an IT guy".

FreeNAS may be more than you are ready to take on. There's no shame in admitting defeat. But, it is pretty shameful to assume that a project must have poorly written documentation and help is expected if *you* can't figure it out. It makes you look like an idiot because you aren't even willing to admit the fault may be your own.

As for the ticket, I do have to say "lol". Not because of the subject matter but because you can create a wiki account and add it yourself in less time than it took to write that ticket. It is open source documentation so that others that find info that is important can add it(pending approval from an editor of course).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
...it would be more constructive to suggest filing a ticket or helping to centralize the documentation better.

BTW.. before you knock me for not being constructive...

Do you know how much time I've spent working on my presentation and the wiki? I'd wager I've spent easily 150 hours on both of those. I've also never been paid a dime for working on either one. So let me ask you, how much time would YOU spend on something you don't get paid to do. So I think I have a trump card on documentation writing. ;)

Let's not talk about my 11000+ posts, countless Teamviewer sessions I've done with people, countless hours in IRC, nor the countless hours I've spent writing guides in the forum that I didn't need to write for programs I don't use. None of which I've been paid for.

So when it comes to being constructive I think I'm allowed to be pig-headed when someone wants to complain about not having enough resources.

It takes time to make documentation. It takes time to keep documentation updated too.

And for a product that you paid $0.00 for I think you get a smoking deal.

hungarianhc

Patron
Hey cyberjock,

I don't think I ever indicated that you weren't helpful. In fact, before I built my FreeNAS box, I combed through your PPT explaining everything, and it was extremely helpful. I guess I'm just a big believer in open source communities (heck - I make my living professionally at an open source company), and I believe we can all benefit by being more welcoming sometimes. So in that regard, thank you so much for all that you have done for creating documentation, helping users, etc.

As for the ticket, I do have to say "lol". Not because of the subject matter but because you can create a wiki account and add it yourself in less time than it took to write that ticket. It is open source documentation so that others that find info that is important can add it(pending approval from an editor of course).
That's the great part about open source and transparency. If they find the ticket useless, they can close it. I was hoping to have the descriptions for the field in the UI itself, rather than having to go look at documentation. I thought that would be useful. I'm not much of a programmer anymore so I don't have the ability to code it up on my own, but I do what I can to submit bugs / feature requests when I find it appropriate.

Again, thanks for your help with all of your documentation and advice on these forums. I'd just love to see mass proliferation of FreeNAS, and I think a welcoming community to new users, even those who haven't searched enough, is useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.