Unwanted Snapshots?

telenoar

Cadet
Running FreeNAS 11.1-U7 on two separate Storinator chassis.

We're running out of space and were deleting numerous TB's, and I was noticing that the 'Used' and 'Available' volume/storage numbers weren't changing at all. It does appear that the discrepancy is taken up by snapshots.

The thing is... We don't use snapshots. I never created any, and the periodic snapshot and replication tasks are empty. So where would they be "coming from"?! Is there any config/feature in FreeNAS that automatically creates Snapshots in kind of a "recycle bin" capacity, filling them up with deleted files?

And a noob question, to be absolutely sure: If you destroy a snapshot, none of the "normal" data you see in Windows Explorer (or Finder, Bash, etc.) is affected? (No I'm not talking about the secret .zfs folder...) A snapshot represent a past point in time, not the present delta, right? (From what I understand, a snapshot is static, and the present data is the delta. Deleting a snapshot is nothing like normal data deletion, rather it consolidates or settles the delta, and the result is "normal, static" data.)

sretalla