ZFS Panic

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmanpsu

Cadet
Hey folks, new to FreeNAS and this whole community, so I apologize for my ignorance if this is something that should be easy and intuitive for most users. I have spent several evenings over the past few days searching and to no avail, have came to the same thing at the end of the night with no solution. This all occurred after a power outage, and a reboot. I would like to recover the data on this drive if at all possible!!!

The panic itself

Code:
panic: solaris assert: 0 == dmu_buf_hold_array(os, object, offset, size, FALSE, FTAG, &numbufs, &dbp), file: /builds/i386/pcbsd-build90/fbsd-source/9.0/sys/modules/zfs/../../cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/dmu.c line:779
cpuid = 1
Uptime : ***x 

I receive the same panic message when trying to import the zpool in FreeNAS 8.0.1, as well as FreeBSD, and PC-BDS9.0. :confused:

I've read around on a lot of forums and have no found a whole lot, I've tried using zpool import -f storage, zpool imort -fFX storage and zpool import -fF storage also result in the same panic. When trying any other command I get the message cannot open 'storage': no such pool, but yet when I use zpool import, it shows the pool as being online with no errors.

Further information, I have 6 2TB hard drives running hardware RAID 5 (have discovered this isn't the best setup for using ZFS in my research), and the RAID controller shows all drives are fine and healthy.

So I'm at a loss!! As stated above I'm novice in this realm of computing, so any ideas and direction are greatly appreciated!!! :D

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
The recommended amount is 1GB of RAM for each 1TB of data space...
I cannot say that more RAM will in fact solve your issue, but IMHO it is highly possible.

How much of your pool had in used space?

Try bumping it to at least 8GB, borrow from a friend ;D

gmanpsu

Cadet
Ahh okay, did not know that little piece of information ;) I have about 4TB of space used up. I'll have to wait until Monday to get the ram without changing a bunch of hardware around.

Anything else to try in the mean time?!? Thanks again!!!

gmanpsu

Cadet
I'm still getting errors, I used testdisk and started to recover data from the hard drives. So the data is most certainly there and intact. So what can I do to repair/fix the pool? Again I'm pretty new to all of this so I might need some "walk throughs" if you will!!

gmanpsu

Cadet
20120930_152950.jpg

Here is a screen shot from PC-BSD in single user mode. Any suggestion and or pointers?

mawe

Cadet
Have you ever thought of taking the disks to a alternative, identical hw (board, controller, cpu)?

gmanpsu

Cadet
If i can get access to some I will but right now I can't.... Is this something 100% hardware related??

Status
Not open for further replies.