YAN (Yet Another Noob) Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

okgunguy

Explorer
The 2nd one is the one that did what I wanted.
I had checked the man page before I asked, but it wasn't clear enough for me to trust it. So I wanted to ask.
No the directory didn't already exist. It was my new dataset I just created.
So, mv /mnt/r2d2/Movies /mnt/r2d2/media/Movies moved my movies directory and all the files under it to my media directory and kept the same name. You could change the name of the new directory if you wanted to. By changing the last 'Movies' to whatever you wanted.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Then I stand corrected, but assert that both forms would do what you wanted in this instance (I moved several VMs between datasets last night).

okgunguy

Explorer
Robert, I didn't mean or intend to imply that your answer wouldn't have done what I wanted. I only tried the 2nd command, so I really don't know if the 1st one would have worked. It may very well have. Actually I will try it this evening on my TV folder and see.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
No worries, nor did I intend an implied challenge to @rogerh. Primarily I want to prevent misinformation, especially if I'm the source.

rogerh

Guru
No worries, nor did I intend an implied challenge to @rogerh. Primarily I want to prevent misinformation, especially if I'm the source.
I agree. It is interesting that even with the man page both of us found ambiguities and initially came to opposite conclusions about what would work. As you so rightly said, really the only thing to do is experiment first in a safe environment. (Or have years of unix experience!) I certainly wasn't offended! I meant 'challenge' in the sense of 'try the suggestion' which was good advice!

okgunguy

Explorer
It seems you both were correct. Last night I tried mv /mnt/r2d2/TV /mnt/r2d2/media and it moved my TV folder into my media dataset and kept the name TV. Just like mv /mnt/r2d2/Movies /mnt/r2d2/media/Movies moved my Movies folder into my media dataset. Neither folder existed before the command was entered. All files went with the folders. And there was no Movies/Movies folder after the 2nd command. So it appears the first command names the new folder whatever the original was named. And the 2nd command named it Movies because I told it to. Had I typed mv /mnt/r2d2/Movies /mnt/r2d2/media/Films the results would have been the same but with a new folder named Films instead of Movies.

Last edited:

okgunguy

Explorer
No luck on any commands I have ran. Maybe someone here will have a pointer or solution. Other wise I will have to try and install Plex again as a Plugin rather than a Jail.
Before I even began trying to install my first jail, the system created a dataset named Jails all on it's own. During my trouble shooting I have even gone so far as deleting this dataset entirely, only to have it reappear after a reboot. The only thing I can think of as to why is because under the Jails/Configuration, it is listed as /mnt/r2d2/jails and if it doesn't see it, it creates it. ??
Datasets.jpg

JailConfig.jpg

I copied/paste the full Collection URL so you could see the full path. That is the default URL the system fills in. I tried a couple different URLs, including: http://download.freenas.org/jails/9.3/x64/ which I thought for sure would have worked. I have tried multiple IP's, setting it as DHCP, and leaving it at default. Nothing seems to work. Once you go to Jails/Create, after it downloads for a while, you get this:

UnableToFind.jpg

Last night I tried this sequence of commands from the 1st thread I listed yesterday, thinking it would fix my problem. It did not...
Code:
Here are the steps John worked through to resolve the problem:
1. rmdir /your/jail/root/.warden-template-standard
2. zfs list -t snapshot | grep '.warden-template-standard@clean'
3. If the previous command lists anything, delete that snapshot (it did not list anything)
4. cd /root
5. fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/freenas/freenas/master/src/freenas/etc/ix.rc.d/ix-warden
6. cp ix-warden /conf/base/etc/ix.rc.d/
7. cp ix-warden /etc/ix.rc.d/
8. At this point, go to the UI and create a jail, if all goes well, it should work

Here are a couple of lists that other forums have asked to see:
Code:

[root@freenas] ~# warden template list
Jail Templates:
------------------------------
[root@freenas] ~# zfs list
NAME  USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
freenas-boot  540M  13.9G  31K  none
freenas-boot/ROOT  532M  13.9G  25K  none
freenas-boot/ROOT/Initial-Install  2.88M  13.9G  510M  legacy
freenas-boot/ROOT/Pre-FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509282017-772950  1K  13.9G  510M  legacy
freenas-boot/ROOT/default  529M  13.9G  510M  legacy
freenas-boot/grub  6.81M  13.9G  6.79M  legacy
r2d2  1.38T  12.7T  208K  /mnt/r2d2
r2d2/.system  146M  12.7T  93.0M  legacy
r2d2/.system/configs-d646df02c1474ae3a4f2283ac4ea185f  1.55M  12.7T  1.42M  legacy
r2d2/.system/cores  1.18M  12.7T  1.05M  legacy
r2d2/.system/rrd-d646df02c1474ae3a4f2283ac4ea185f  42.3M  12.7T  23.3M  legacy
r2d2/.system/samba4  1.16M  12.7T  767K  legacy
r2d2/.system/syslog-d646df02c1474ae3a4f2283ac4ea185f  6.24M  12.7T  5.64M  legacy
r2d2/backups  325G  12.7T  325G  /mnt/r2d2/backups
r2d2/jails  16.9M  12.7T  16.9M  /mnt/r2d2/jails
r2d2/media  581G  12.7T  567G  /mnt/r2d2/media 

I have all of the debug from -J (jails) and -Z (zfs) if it would help anyone. I can get any others, I just need to know which option you need.
I don't know what else to do. The only thing left is just a total reinstall of FreeNAS and try creating a jail from there. This time I have already FTP'd off all my scripts so I don't have to go through building them all again. I can just FTP them back on once the install is completed. Not even sure if I should import my old config once the install is completed. Since something in there could be causing all of this.
Hopefully someone has a set of commands I can run and just be done with it. I'm tired of fighting with it on something that should be so simple as building a generic jail.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Maybe someone here will have a pointer or solution. Other wise I will have to try and install Plex again as a Plugin rather than a Jail.
I have no experience debugging problems with creating jails, but one thing I'm fairly confident about is that if you're unable to create a generic jail, you will also be unable to create a plugin.
Here are a couple of lists that other forums have asked to see:
No jail templates are listed there, so it's not surprising you can't create a jail. Whether this is a result of the commands you ran earlier is unclear.

My Collection URL, which I have not modified, is http://download.freenas.org/jails/9.3/x64. Note that there's no trailing slash.

I'm not 100% sure about this but seems to me as if the actual system downloaded templates are goofed and because they were downloaded once, they do not want to redownload. I wonder if you change the directory for the jail root to something else if it will then download them. If it does you could move them or just use that and get rid of the other one. Otherwise copy from another install and put them where it expects them to be. I have no clue why it would be doing this but with all the problems you have had it seems like murphy's law is just gnawing on your leg.

If need be I can drop a copy onto a dvd and meet you somewhere if you can't get them to download. Just let me know.

My Collection URL is the same as yours though http://download.freenas.org/latest/RELEASE/x64/jails and I have not modified it. I wonder if at some point an update made a change that is now causing a problem. I already had templates in place and working so it has not affected their creation for me.

okgunguy

Explorer
Last night, after many hours of hard-surface-cranium-banging something came over me to look again at my Global Configuration of Network Settings. I'm sure it was one of the many many forums I had read some time in the past to make me revisit it. I had never put in any Name Servers in my settings.
- I made no further changes since my last forum update
- I input my Router's IP as Nameserver 1 = 192.168.1.1
- Lines of code streamed past my console messages window in the bottom of my screen
- I click over into my Storage and saw this:
Datasets2.jpg

- Then I clicked over into Jails and saw this:
Jails.jpg

I went into SSH and typed JLS and up popped Plex. No other downloads. No further commands. It all just magically appeared. Like it was all sitting there ready to go just waiting on that stupid IP.
- I started in on Rilo Ravestein post on the thread - How To Install Plex in a FreeNAS 9.3 Jail (Updated) and every command I typed passed with no errors. Like nothing had ever happened and we were best friends again. If you look at my pics, there is a little Plex shortcut on my bookmark bar. That is because I was able to install, start and log in again to Plex. I stopped at the point to install storage because it was late and I wanted to take my time with that step.
- So to recap, make sure you have a nameserver. And make sure you count on magic to make the rest of it work.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Woohoo!
I input my Router's IP as Nameserver 1 = 192.168.1.1
You might consider using Google's public name servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) instead of your router. Your router is acting as a proxy for your ISP's name servers, and sometimes that's not a very reliable setup.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
How do you have yours?
I have the Google name servers as #1 and #2 on everything. Ideally, you set this up in your gateway device (usually your modem) and it propagates to all devices via DHCP, but that doesn't always work. Some devices will insist on claiming name server proxy status when acting as a DHCP server.

Note: some hand-wavy stuff there, just my understanding based on the behavior of the devices I've used.

Status
Not open for further replies.