First Build, 836BA-R920B and X9SRH-7F-O, 26TB raidz3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So I've set out to get my two LSI 9211-8i into the proper P20 IT firmware and I'm not sure if one of them (v5.00.13, slot 00) might already be messed up?
25rUS.jpg

Looks like different outputs give me different information on whether it's already in IT or IR firmware. Which do I believe? Is the card bad?

IR is theoretically acceptable but performs more poorly because there's more code in the path. The IR firmware is supposed to function identically to the IT firmware aside from that. Nevertheless, you should get both of them set to IT phase 20.

DearestDreamer

Dabbler
Nevertheless, you should get both of them set to IT phase 20.

Yup, I'm reading several guides before I proceed doing this.. but do you think that the v5 card is already in IT mode? The LSI Corp utility shows it as IR but there's a discrepancy mpt2bios screen (shown as -IT) and FreeNAS doesn't note <IR> in the capabilities. And am I correct in having read that I can just jump from any firmware (even IR) straight to P20 IT? Or would I need to flash to the corresponding IT firmware (P14 for one of my cards) first and then upgrade to P20?

Thanks for your other comment too, I think I've read that it's indeed not necessary to mirror it anymore and MLC SSDs have come a long way. Although from what I've read it's still suggested to get SSDs with supercapacitors in them.

I stand corrected, must have been something I was reading in a haze where ZIL was used incorrectly for SLOG.

You can go from IR to IT mode but I believe you have to blank the current firmware out. You can't just flash IT over IR firmware. The guides generally have that information in them with the command.

Status
Not open for further replies.