XL710-QDA2 windows 10 ?

athahoros

Cadet
Hello :)
I've got a question regarding Intel XL710-QDA2 network cards. I'd like to build a homeserver for myself, which needs a 40Gbit connection to my main workstation. After reading up on the topic, I decided to connect both homeserver and Workstation to my router via a regular switch and powerline adapters; for the 40Gbit connection, the XL710-QDA2, a MTP cable and optical SR-transceivers should do the job. However, after checking official sources, the XL710 chipset doesn't seem to support Windows 10. Can anyone confirm or deny this ?
Greetings,

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm sure that all Intel 1Gb+ NICs are 100% supported on Windows 10.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

athahoros

Cadet
If I head for the product support page and look for "driver" and windows 10, nothing shows up though. I somehow feel like this device may be supported, but I'm looking for firsthand experience.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If I head for the product support page and look for "driver" and windows 10, nothing shows up though. I somehow feel like this device may be supported, but I'm looking for firsthand experience.
In home use, directly from a server to windows 10. I would guess that it has been attempted, but probably not enough times that someone here has done it.
You should check with YouTube. If someone did it, they probably posted a video.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. What are you using for storage in this 40GB/s server?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

athahoros

Cadet
On the Server, I'm using 6 regular 4 TB Samsung SATA 6Gbit SSDs, configured for RAID0 in groups of two, and a Hyper x16 NVMe expansion card running in x8 mode with 2 NVMe SSDs, 2 TB each. The NVMe SSDs are used for flash-backups. I got a routine running on my workstation every second day. For clarification, it's a i9-7980XE, 6 Samsung 850Pros with 2 in RAID0 and 4 in regular mode, and 1TB NVMe 960Pro as system drive and 500GB NVMe as buffer drive, both on CPU PCIe lanes. Every second day, a full system backup is created on the buffer NVMe SSD, and that backup plus the most important data is pushed to the homeserver. Afterwards I manually check hashes to ensure the file isn't corrupted and delete the file on the buffer drive.
I may add a third computer at some point, that's why I'm using double port cards. As the XL710-QDA2 seems unlikely to perfectly work, I'll be going for Chelsio cards. The T580-LP-CR seems promising since it can offload just about every type of traffic and seems to have excellent support regarding every relevant OS. I'm unsure about Chelsio saying you need to use their Transceivers though, since they seem to be very expensive compared to cisco / intel transceivers I can find on fs.com.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The second download explicitly mentions Windows 10 several times...

ReadyNAS2018

Dabbler

If you use the Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack download it should be fine

purduephotog

Explorer
Hello :)
I've got a question regarding Intel XL710-QDA2 network cards. I'd like to build a homeserver for myself, which needs a 40Gbit connection to my main workstation. After reading up on the topic, I decided to connect both homeserver and Workstation to my router via a regular switch and powerline adapters; for the 40Gbit connection, the XL710-QDA2, a MTP cable and optical SR-transceivers should do the job. However, after checking official sources, the XL710 chipset doesn't seem to support Windows 10. Can anyone confirm or deny this ?
Greetings,
Did you get an answer to this? According to Intel, Windows 10 isn't supported for the XL710 chip.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...020905/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I find it very hard to believe that Intel doesn't have a Windows 10 driver for their latest 10GbE products.

purduephotog

Explorer
I find it very hard to believe that Intel doesn't have a Windows 10 driver for their latest 10GbE products.
Dunno what to say. Me too. I have had to scramble (And still am, since I got yanked off the project)

PCI Express* Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapters X710 and XL710 with Intel® Ethernet Controller XL710:

• Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter XL710-QDA1
  • Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter XL710-QDA2
  • Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710-DA2
  • Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710-DA4
  • Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710-T4
No No

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That is because Microsoft keeps changing the product every 6 months. It is a moving target that nobody wants to try to hit. If I could, I would switch my whole department over to Linux or something stable. We have had hardware where it was supported/working in Windows 10, then Windows changed something with the new revision (every six months) and now it doesn't work but there is no new driver from the hardware vendor.
Stop changing things and maybe it will work.

diskdiddler

Wizard
That is because Microsoft keeps changing the product every 6 months. It is a moving target that nobody wants to try to hit. If I could, I would switch my whole department over to Linux or something stable. We have had hardware where it was supported/working in Windows 10, then Windows changed something with the new revision (every six months) and now it doesn't work but there is no new driver from the hardware vendor.
Stop changing things and maybe it will work.

Microsoft has really screwed up with Windows 10. The "re-install, over the top of yourself" mindset of applying the larger patches, while clever, does lose a portion of settings or re-installs apps you never asked for, over and over and over.

It's getting annoying. They never had to re-install Windows over the top of itself under Windows 7 and it is still a similar codebase.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's getting annoying. They never had to re-install Windows over the top of itself under Windows 7 and it is still a similar codebase.
To be fair, that's how installing years of updates on top of SP1 used to impossible until they released some packs. Then it became only very painful.

I'm not saying reinstalling is the right way of doing it, but it's not a completely brain-dead decision.

fworm

Cadet
I can confirm I have installed an Intel XL710 on Windows 10 with the drivers provided by Intel, working fine. (My test was single direct connect peer-to-peer between two Windows 10 boxes each running an Intel 10GbE nic, which worked perfectly fine.)

I also played around with Teaming on a Quad Gigabit card, but that ended up blue screening and such, so, maybe some weird bugs to work out if you are looking at 40GbE...

purduephotog

Explorer
I can confirm I have installed an Intel XL710 on Windows 10 with the drivers provided by Intel, working fine. (My test was single direct connect peer-to-peer between two Windows 10 boxes each running an Intel 10GbE nic, which worked perfectly fine.)

I also played around with Teaming on a Quad Gigabit card, but that ended up blue screening and such, so, maybe some weird bugs to work out if you are looking at 40GbE...

Edit: Wait- you used a 10gbe card instead of the 40gbe card? Then yeah, I don't know if that counts as working or not. It's the 40gbE that intel claims doesn't work :( (although all x710 cards appear in the banned list, so that's a much more positive outcome than I thought)

I can't doubt your statement as... it's working for you. I just reference this, and what Intel support told me directly:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...020905/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

So that makes no sense- Intel flat out told me it wouldn't work, and they weren't going to be releasing drivers.

Can you post what rev drivers you have?

I appreciate it. Although I've already bought other cards, it will help someone else I'm sure.

Last edited:

fworm

Cadet
Edit: Wait- you used a 10gbe card instead of the 40gbe card? Then yeah, I don't know if that counts as working or not. It's the 40gbE that intel claims doesn't work :( (although all x710 cards appear in the banned list, so that's a much more positive outcome than I thought)

I can't doubt your statement as... it's working for you. I just reference this, and what Intel support told me directly:

So that makes no sense- Intel flat out told me it wouldn't work, and they weren't going to be releasing drivers.

Can you post what rev drivers you have?

I appreciate it. Although I've already bought other cards, it will help someone else I'm sure.

Intel drivers: 23.5.2
Windows 10, update 1803
Both X520 and XL710 work (just had the XL710 in my NAS box when I took the screenshot.)

Attachments

• 9pwsCIt.png
    9pwsCIt.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 690

purduephotog

Explorer
Intel drivers: 23.5.2
Windows 10, update 1803
Both X520 and XL710 work (just had the XL710 in my NAS box when I took the screenshot.)
Well, there ya have it. Good news is your post should be able to help other people.