PSA: Windows 10 and i210s do not seem to mix very well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just going to leave here what little information I've gathered so far, since I don't have the time to troubleshoot this in-depth at the moment:

I was going to test a 1000BaseLX/1000BaseT media converter's performance using iperf between my workstation and one of my servers, starting with a simple control test. That's when I got the rather nasty surprise of only seeing 700ish Mb/s throughput (I'd previously gotten 900-950, as expected).

After some messing around, I discovered that only the i210 GbE controller on my workstation was acting up. The i217 does low 900s Mb/s, which isn't too unusual, and the servers do mid 900s Mb/s between their i210s. Intel's latest drivers for Windows 10 changed nothing. Same goes for trying the second switch.

Here're the details:

Workstation:
Windows 10
Xeon E5 1650 v3
16GB RAM
ASRock X99 WS (1x i210 and 1x i217)

Servers:
FreeNAS 9.3.1/9.10
i3 4330/6300
X10SLM+-F/X11SSM-F (i210s all around)
16GB RAM

Switches:
Brand-new Netgear GS724T (my first suspect)
Old El-Cheapo 5-port TP-Link switch.

I'll update this when I've researched this properly.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This seems quite odd IMO.

Intel usually has very, very good drivers on the Windows side. While not impossible for some nasty bug to slip through, I would be rather surprised if Intel didn't do a quick release update for their drivers.

Have you tried the new Intel Driver Update tool at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu ? I found this to be better than trying to find the driver myself. :P

I used this last week and it worked well for my laptop (Intel display driver and Intel NIC).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This seems quite odd IMO.
Oh yeah, that's why I immediately gravitated towards the switch.

Have you tried the new Intel Driver Update tool at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu ? I found this to be better than trying to find the driver myself. :p
I'll try, but I had no problem finding the driver, which was from a couple of days ago, I think. Maybe it's a weird interaction with the ME and a ME driver update would help, since the i210 allows for the kind of trickery that the i217/8/9s tend not to allow (though my motherboard does have the vPro-compatible i217LM).

Status
Not open for further replies.