Does windows 10 support snapshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Kellogg

Dabbler
I use FreeNas as a backup device. With main storage on my laptops and desktops, and FreeNas keeping up to date copies - checking every 5 min. Then I have FreeNas do daily snapshots, to allow me to go back in time.

From Windows 7, I can "right click" on a directory and see the multiple snapshots that go back in time, all within windows 7. Does windows 10 still have this capability (that I understand was disabled in windows 8)?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I use FreeNas as a backup device. With main storage on my laptops and desktops, and FreeNas keeping up to date copies - checking every 5 min. Then I have FreeNas do daily snapshots, to allow me to go back in time.

From Windows 7, I can "right click" on a directory and see the multiple snapshots that go back in time, all within windows 7. Does windows 10 still have this capability (that I understand was disabled in windows 8)?
Of course it does. So does W8. If you don't see them then you've misconfigured something.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Windows 8 doesn't do NTFS Shadow Copies. However, it still absolutely correctly imports shadow copies from SMB servers.

Proof:
Capture.PNG

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yup, working fine for me on 10Home.

Richard Kellogg

Dabbler
Thanks everyone.

I am getting ready to upgrade to windows 10 and was afraid I might loose that capability, which is a must for me.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Support is still present because Windows Server still does NTFS Shadow Copies and the new fancy filesystem is CoW and has snapshot-like stuff.

Richard Kellogg

Dabbler
I upgraded to windows 10. I changed a file on my user directory and it was automatically copied by freenas which I have set up to pull files every 5 min to a backup directory.

But when I right-click on a file folder in windows 10, as select "restore previous version", I get no previous versions. Even though I know there were some.

Any suggestions?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I upgraded to windows 10. I changed a file on my user directory and it was automatically copied by freenas which I have set up to pull files every 5 min to a backup directory.

But when I right-click on a file folder in windows 10, as select "restore previous version", I get no previous versions. Even though I know there were some.

Any suggestions?

Did you wait for your daily snapshot job to take place?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Did you make sure the share has an associated snapshot task.

Richard Kellogg

Dabbler
I need to be more clear.

First, I have had freenas for several years, backing up 2 windows 7 PCs and a windows xp machine. I don't use freenas as a file server, rather I use it as a backup machine. My files are primarily stored on the laptops, and backed up to the freenas.

I use deltacopy on the windows machines to serve files to the freenas server. I use rsync tasks on the freenas to periodically (every 10 min) pull files to respective datasets on the freenas. Then I use daily periodic snapshots (with 2 month expiration) for each dataset that I'm backing up.

This has all been working for the past 2 years. And I think what I have noticed - now that I've switched to windows 10 - is normal behavior that I didn't notice before.

If (on the windows machine) I right click on a file accessed via Mycomputer \\myfreenas_ip_address\my_dataset\myfile , then 'restore previous version' lists of all the snapshots for the past 2 months.

If instead I go directly to the directory on my windows machine that is being backed up, and right click on myfile, 'restore previous version', none are listed.

After playing with this on my other windows 7, and XP machines, I believe this is the normal expected behavior.

How I thought it was supposed to work was, right clicking (followed by 'restore previous version') directly on a backed up file, would list the snapshots.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Yeah, there is simply no way for that to work unless the folders you are accessing are actually on the FreeNAS getting the snapshots. It is impossible for Windows to know about versions of files, that exist elsewhere, unless you point to that location in some way...

Richard Kellogg

Dabbler
Yeah, there is simply no way for that to work unless the folders you are accessing are actually on the FreeNAS getting the snapshots. It is impossible for Windows to know about versions of files, that exist elsewhere, unless you point to that location in some way...

That makes sense.

Thanks to everyone who answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.