xeon X3450 server purchase a waste of money?

strebor71

Cadet
So I bought a used server with a intel s3420gp board with a xeon X3450 cpu because I wanted to be able to create VM's with TrueNAS. I made sure I bought a processor that had the required EPT technology for bhyve. I Got everything up and running, bought some ddr3 ram for it, was happy with the new system. Then I went to create my first VM. All went well, was able to create the VM, however, it would not connect to VNC. Built in 3rd party, windows, linux, desktop, server. all failed. Then I came across this line in the manual "To verify that an Intel processor has the required features, use Shell to run grep VT-x /var/run/dmesg.boot. If the EPT and UG features are shown, this processor can be used with bhyve." WTF, so am I just completely hosed on being able to run VM's still? I looked at other processors compatible with my board but even the ones that do support the "unrestricted guest mode" UG, are a total downgrade from the X3450. do all the versions of bhyve require this UG mode? do all of the previous Freenas 11 builds require UG mode? I thought I had done my homework when reading through the freenas docs and i never came across this UG mode restriction. Suddenly have a bad taste in my mouth.