Virtualization with Intel Xeon CPU X3440 and UG support

Status
Not open for further replies.

openaspace

Cadet
Hi to all!
I have setup freenas on my dell t310 server but my virtual machines doesn't start..

it's my cpu ?!! Intel Xeon CPU X3440?

I no have words.. I have used till yesterday with XEN server and now with freebsd I can't run VM's because without UG support?!
Please help.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
iohyve list
Your CPU does not seem to fully support bhyve. Missing UG feature on Intel CPU, please upgrade to 5600 series.

cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep VT-x | grep EPT
VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,VPID

Stux

MVP
Upgrade your Nehalem to a Westmere.

They’re cheap on eBay

Yep VM's will not work unless you are running a Xeon 5600 series or newer. I got lucky when I built my system out that I didn't end up with a 5500 but I wanted to have AES support in the cpu if I decide to encrypt a pool.

So to add to the bad news I doubt your dell will be able to upgrade to a cpu that does support it. If it can you will be VERY limited, like maybe an L3406 or L3403 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westmere_(microarchitecture)

I would suggest cooling your heels on trying to swap cpu's and just upgrade the server to something newer.

openaspace

Cadet
Yep VM's will not work unless you are running a Xeon 5600 series or newer. I got lucky when I built my system out that I didn't end up with a 5500 but I wanted to have AES support in the cpu if I decide to encrypt a pool.

So to add to the bad news I doubt your dell will be able to upgrade to a cpu that does support it. If it can you will be VERY limited, like maybe an L3406 or L3403 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westmere_(microarchitecture)

I would suggest cooling your heels on trying to swap cpu's and just upgrade the server to something newer.

This is the official DELL answer:
///////////////////////////
The T310 system board supports several Intel CPUs based on the Nehalem architecture. The unrestricted guest feature appears to have been introduced with Westmere. The T310 does not support Westmere CPUs.
Thanks
//////////////////////////
I need to sell definitively my server?!:(

openaspace

Cadet
This is the official DELL answer:
///////////////////////////
The T310 system board supports several Intel CPUs based on the Nehalem architecture. The unrestricted guest feature appears to have been introduced with Westmere. The T310 does not support Westmere CPUs.
Thanks
//////////////////////////
I need to sell definitively my server?!:(

After upgrading the cpu to the first compatible i3 500 series cpu's , the cpu dont support the registered ECC ram...

It's incredible that a power server like this with a enterprise cpu like the xeon can't run virtual machine in freebsd...

no comment..

Status
Not open for further replies.