VT-x and Vt-d issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socratease

Cadet
I have a an issue where I cannot start a VM. I have read that I do not have GU this the out put VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,VPID I have a Supermicro MB with a Xeon 3440 cpu and 16 gig of ram. VT-x is enabled in the bios, What else should I look for?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your processor is too old to support bhyve and I don't think your platform supports any CPUs that do support bhyve.

acquacow

Explorer
Your processor is too old to support bhyve and I don't think your platform supports any CPUs that do support bhyve.
I doubt that's it. The 3440 supports both VT-x and VT-d. I had it running in a VM on ESXi on a much older xeon chip with no issues.

I had some issues with bhyve on my supermicro Xeon-D, but I just looked at the logs and it was an easy fix once I googled the error message.

I suggest you do the same.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The 3440 supports both VT-x and VT-d.
Not enough. Bhyve requires Extended Page Tables with Unrestricted Guest support, which was introduced in the 32 nm Xeons whose name I never remember. The Nehalem die shrink.

Stux

MVP
Not enough. Bhyve requires Extended Page Tables with Unrestricted Guest support, which was introduced in the 32 nm Xeons whose name I never remember. The Nehalem die shrink.

Westmere

Socratease

Cadet
I doubt that's it. The 3440 supports both VT-x and VT-d. I had it running in a VM on ESXi on a much older xeon chip with no issues.

I had some issues with bhyve on my supermicro Xeon-D, but I just looked at the logs and it was an easy fix once I googled the error message.

I suggest you do the same.

Ok what logs should I look in and what should I look for.

kdragon75

Wizard

Socratease

Cadet
Ok I just tried this on a different motherboard x8ste with an i7 960 and I am still getting the same thing. when I run the command grep VT-x /var/run/dmesg.boot I get VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,VPID as you can see there is no UG any ideas

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What part of "you need Unrestricted Guest" do you not understand?

Lucky for you, there are LGA 1366 CPUs that support it, namely the aforementioned Westmeres. IIRC, they were the i7-980X and i7-990X. The X stands for Xtreme, as in "Xtreme cost back in the day".

kdragon75

Wizard

Socratease

Cadet
Ok got the i7 980 extreme installed and I can now start the VM. Now when I try to connect to the VM with VNC client it asks for a password. I can't find any place in FreeNAS to set a password for the VM any suggestions

kdragon75

Wizard
Did you check the manual for your version of FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.