X8DT3-F onboard SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamB

Cadet
Has anyone used the onboard SAS controller successfully with FreeNAS? I was planning on getting a M1015 and flashing it to IT mode but then I discovered the 1068e based onboard controller works with my backplane and sees drives (after flashing to IT mode).

What I have was pieced together from 4 servers I rescued from the scrap/recycle pile.
16 bay supermicro chassis
X8DT3-F motherboard
2 5650 Xeons 2.67GHz
72GB of ECC ram
2 1000W power supplies

I haven't installed FreeNAS yet, I just had one spare (junk) hard drive so I installed it last night and booted it into the Ubuntu that was installed on that drive. Seemed to work fine. I'm guessing that even if this works I may be limited to 2TB per drive with this controller. I just can't find any info on people using it which makes me a bit nervous.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm guessing that even if this works I may be limited to 2TB per drive with this controller.
Yes, I believe that's correct--IIRC, the 1068 is a SAS1 controller and is limited to 2 TB disk capacity. If all the disks you're using/planning to use are 2 TB or less, this may not be a problem.

SamB

Cadet
If that's the only catch, then I guess I can live with that for a while. I'm a little worried about the controller and the extender/backplane working together. I will give it a shot and report back how it works out.

I'm still piecing this thing together as funds allow but my plan is to pick up a bunch of cheap, small drives after work today and get FreeNAS installed over the weekend. I guess I'm not out anything if it doesn't work.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm still piecing this thing together as funds allow but my plan is to pick up a bunch of cheap, small drives after work today and get FreeNAS installed over the weekend. I guess I'm not out anything if it doesn't work.
As long as you get decent drives, you can always connect them to a better controller later. What kind of drives did you have in mind?

SamB

Cadet
I was just planning on getting a bunch of cheap ones to test it out with today.6 x 250Gb seagates(used) for $5 each. I can't stand not playing around with it a little.

I had budgeted a much more modern build initially but life got in the way of that so it's turning into a poverty build. I'm planning on using WD reds once I pile up some more $.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm planning on using WD reds once I pile up some more $.
The Seagate drives are good and they give more detail in their SMART diagnostics.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
IIRC they are a little cheaper as well.
That is why I use them. The manager over me at work is a little stuck on Western Digital but I did get them to buy Seagate Constellation drives last time we needed some more drives. At home, I have had good service from the Seagate NAS drives I have, but I have also used a bunch of Seagate Desktop (recently renamed Barracuda) drives and been very happy with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.