Properly FreeNAS on this build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNAS

Explorer
Hey there!

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this. I just trust these forums much more than others especially since core purpose of this system is FN (even though as VM).

I put together a system for a friend to run ESXi 6.5 and run FN and pfSense as VMs. Well, that failed because the motherboard sucked and didn't truly support virtualization or hardware passthrough. That was determined thanks to some smart guys on these forums.

Now I'm planning on getting/using this hardware:

Option 1
  • Supermicro X11SSL-nF
  • LSI 9211-8i (Flashed IT mode)
  • Supermicro Certified MEM-DR416L-SL01-ER21 Samsung Memory - 16GB DDR4-2133 2Rx4 LP ECC REG RoHs
OR Option 2
  • Supermicro X11SSL-CF (Onboard Broadcom 3008 SAS Controller)
  • Supermicro Certified MEM-DR416L-SL01-ER21 Samsung Memory - 16GB DDR4-2133 2Rx4 LP ECC REG RoHs
I intend to install ESXi on an SSD connected to MB SATA, store VMs on a separate SSD connected to MB SATA, and spinning drives on the LSI or Broadcom controller to pass through to FN.

Questions:
  1. Am I better off using the first hardware option with the LSI card in IT mode or is the second option better with the onboard 3008 controller?
  2. If the onboard controller is better, will I need to do any flashing or will it allow me to pass the connected drives to FN right out the box?
  3. Are the onboard intel ports sufficient for pfSense WAN/LAN or is a separate dual port network adapter better or required?
I sincerely appreciate your input.

Thank you!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Both controllers are about the same. And the onboard nic is fine as long as you have enough of them.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Am I better off using the first hardware option with the LSI card in IT mode or is the second option better with the onboard 3008 controller?
Why would you want an -nF? The eight PCIe lanes that would go to the SAS3008 are routed to U.2 connectors, for easy use with SSDs. If anything, an X11SSL-F plus separate controller may be cheaper, in some weird cases. Or even an X11SSM-F.

pfSense as VMs
Are you sure you want to do that? That's quite a can of worms. Two NICs also seems a bit tight for pfSense + something else. That could be solved by the X11SSH-LN4F, of course, but it seems like a solution in search of a problem.

ChrisNAS

Explorer
After more consideration and research, going with the X11SSL-CF board to keep things more simple plus it leaves the pci slots open. And will be using separate router to provide more ports and wifi off the LAN through pfsense so the 2 ports should be fine.

And as always, thank you for your input! I very much appreciate it.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
After more consideration and research, going with the X11SSL-CF board to keep things more simple plus it leaves the pci slots open. And will be using separate router to provide more ports and wifi off the LAN through pfsense so the 2 ports should be fine.

And as always, thank you for your input! I very much appreciate it.
You need to look more closely at the memory you've chosen. Those RDIMMs are not on the list for those boards. They take UDIMMs.

ChrisNAS

Explorer
Yea, after deciding to go with the -CF board, I found model number of ram on supermicros website. Got the Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB 16gb stick which was validated for the board. Thanks for looking out though!

Status
Not open for further replies.