SOLVED Windows VM on TrueNAS Scale defaults to 1000Mbps network speed

nimuie

Dabbler
Hi folks,

I am either blind/don't know how to google or this is so easy that nobody ever struggled with it and I am the first but I am trying to debug a bit of latency when I log into a Windows 11 VM running on TrueNAS scale.
The behavior is that when clicking icons it takes a fraction of a second for the to register and the selection tool is laggy.

My first thought was the the internet connection might be the problem so I checked that and noticed that it defaults to gigabit speeds (1000Mbps).
The server however has a 20GbE bond so I would imagine that the VM should at least see comparative speeds with my other physical Windows machine.

Because I have the attention spawn of a goldfish I am not elbow deep in the interwebs trying to figure out how I can make this VM use the full speed available rather than the gigabit connection it has.
Once I solve this I can go sleep and then go back at fixing the latency/lag I see when remoting into it

Specs for TrueNAS Scale machine:
CPU: Epyc 7443P
Motherboard: H12SSL-CT
RAM: 128 GB

Windows VM was configured with 8 cores/16 threads, 32 GB RAM, 128GB HDD

Thanks!

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Which drivers are you using in the guest VM... virtio?

nimuie

Dabbler
Hi, no. I was using the one that said 1000Mbps -.- will give virtio a try. thanks!
Screenshot 2022-10-19 225142.png

Sadly getting this error with Windows 11 Pro when selecting virtio

Glowtape

Dabbler
AFAIK the link speed is just some value being reported to display something familiar. The emulated device doesn't have a strict bandwidth limit. It'll move as much data as the CPU can shovel between the VM and host.

nimuie

Dabbler
My issue is that I am working towards moving from bare metal to completely virtualized and a quick speed test or the VM shows non-ideal speeds.
3500Mbps down 3000Mbps up (limited by UDMP IPS) while the VM is cruising around 500Mbps

But I did come a step further.

Deleted Win11, installed Win 10 and had the same issue. In Win10 was able to fully install without network and then followed this guide to mount virtio drivers, install and now Win10 VM has internet and shows Link speed at 10Gbps

All I need now is to figure out how to get my currently running Win10 VM upgraded to Win11

I'll close this thread as following the instructions above solved the problem

Glowtape

Dabbler
Set up Windows 11 as normally with the emulated device (which is probably an e1000), to skip past Microsoft's online bullshit, and then replace with virtio.