VM and QEMU guest agent on windows

JohnnyD

Dabbler
HI, I have two Windows VM and 6 Debian running on my Truenas Scale 22.12.0, the debian machines are pretty straight forward if nothing has changed and I just install the agent on the individual machines, what about windows though? It is recommended to use the AHCI drivers on creating the VM (not virtio) but i am failrly sure the only way to get the guest agent onto a windows box is to install from the virtio drivers ISO? How do I get my windows machines to shut down gracefully if I power off the scale box?

JD

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You'll want to be running (the right) VirtIO drivers for best performance and host/guest interaction.

I note that some of the very latest VirtIO drivers are buggy and/or cause crashing, so check that out before picking a version.

JohnnyD

Dabbler
OK Thanks......will try stable and see, I can't get qemu-ga to start on my Debian vm's do I need to do something in Scale to make this happen?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I can't get qemu-ga to start on my Debian vm's do I need to do something in Scale to make this happen?
You should only need to set up the agent, enable and start the service in the VM, nothing on the host.

rich45

Dabbler
sretalla
sounds like you have knowledge of builing a windows VM.
I would appreciate some assistance with this task. I will attach a word file with the setup and errors.
if you could direct me how to change things so it will run.

isssues:
no display
fails to connect to hypervisor.

has adequate ram and drive space. running the latest update of scale.

please contact me if you can assist or if you can refer to someone or information to use. windows ISO that I am using installed easily on vmware workstation on windows host.
do I need to run this ISO the microsoft creation tool?

host Dell power edge r720, has scale TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0, 125 ram, 2 terabytes available.

if this is the wrong forum I apologize.

thank you

sorry sir I guess I did not get it attached right

here are the errors I see in the serial shell
Error in serial shell

Error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

Error: authentication unavailable: no polkit agent available to authenticate action ‘org.libvrt.unix.manage’

yes, I believe you are correct, just to verify the drivers are only installed on the guest OS?

this system resources for the VM

Virtual CPUs:

Cores:

Threads:

Memory Size:

16.00 GiB

Boot Loader Type:

UEFI

System Clock:

LOCAL

Display Port:

the rest of the errors refer tho the libvirt drivers that I am trying to figure out how to get them installed into a system that fails to boot?

Last edited:

sretalla