Windows VM - FreeNAS 11 (BHYVE) - AMD A4-5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

HicKisH

Cadet
I apologize in advance if this is a redundant question, but I have been unable to find a definitive answer after researching for days now.

Unable to install windows 7 or 10 64-bit in FreeNAS VM, hangs when GUI for windows installer attempts to load.

Confirmed that the hardware should be supported based on the results of the following shell command...

[root@freenas ~]# grep POPCNT /var/run/dmesg.boot
Features2=0x3ed8220b<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,MON,SSSE3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C>

Not a lot of customization in the VM configuration but I've created a zvol of 100gb and mounted in in the VM, allocated 2 CPUs and 4096mb memory.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

FreeNAS-11.0-U4
AMD A4-5000
16gb RAM

Last edited:

HicKisH

Cadet
I have tried that. As a side note, am able to successfully install/boot a FreeBSD 11.1 machine, but has issues getting KDE to start "X server for display :0 cannot be started, session disabled". Could it be and VNC display issue?

Yes, this CPU should work. (notes NRIP save supported)
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Jaguar/AMD-A4-Series A4-5000.html

I would try stripping the VM down to see if anything works. 1 cpu, 2GB RAM.

wildas2017

Cadet
Has anyone had any luck with installing windows using bhyve and amd as yet? I'm still running into the same issue since the start where upon load all I get is the windows logo and it does not progress to setup.
I previously under VirtualBox had windows running without issues but bhyve just won't let me install win, I've tried win 7,8,10, server 2012 and 2016, no success, I can run Linux based OS's no issues, my AMD CPU meets the requirements for running, googling the issue lists experiences much the same.
Any advice would be appreciated

HicKisH

Cadet
Revisited this issue after some time, am now able to get the VM to boot but only with 1 proc, allocating any more makes the VM unstable. Guessing some update between then and now has somewhat resolved the issue, but is still not stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.