FN11 - Windows 10 VM install stuck on 'Blue Window'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sketching

Cadet
Hi,

I've just upgraded to FN11, really like this version and am wanting to use the VM features to host a Windows 10 VM. I have two FN 11 installs both based on HP Microservers, The 'test' install of FN 11 is running on slightly 'Older' hardware than my 'Production' NAS.

I installed a Windows 10 VM with no issues on the 'test' device and it works really well. However, for some reason, when trying to install on the 'Production' server the VM will boot, I get the 'Press any key to install from DVD...' message, I press a key and I then get the Windows 10 'Blue Window' logo but I never see the spinning dots start below the logo? I have left an install running for over 12 hours but nothing changes - still the same image on screen?

I have collated information together below from the two systems - Hope this is enough as a starting point to troubleshoot this.

Code:
Not working
===========
Build	FreeNAS-11.0-U2 (e417d8aa5)
Platform	AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N40L Dual-Core Processor
Memory	8025MB
System Time	Sat Sep 02 10:06:39 BST 2017
Uptime	10:06AM up 11:30, 0 users
Load Average	1.26, 1.49, 1.58
zvol 25GiB, inherit (lz4)
VM 1 cpu, 2000 MiB, UEFI

Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
  Features2=0x802009<SSE3,MON,CX16,POPCNT>
  AMD Features=0xee500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM,3DNow!+,3DNow!>
  AMD Features2=0x837ff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,WDT,NodeId>

Working
=======
Build	FreeNAS-11-MASTER-201708310517
Platform	AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo N36L Dual-Core Processor
Memory	7897MB
System Time	Sat, 2 Sep 2017 09:22:39 -0700
Uptime	2:22AM up 11:29, 0 users
Load Average	0.14, 0.23, 0.23
zvol 25GiB, inherit (lz4)
VM 1 cpu, 2000 MiB, UEFI

Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
  Features2=0x802009<SSE3,MON,CX16,POPCNT>
  AMD Features=0xee500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM,3DNow!+,3DNow!>
  AMD Features2=0x8377f<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,Prefetch,OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,WDT,NodeId>

VNC Viewer from Real VNC, configured to use 'Medium' screen settings. Same configuration for both working & none working.

UPDATE : I have just tried taking a backup of the working zvol image and transferring to the non-working system. Despite this drive image booting successfully on my test machine it still fails in exactly the same place on the production system i.e. the Blue Windows Logo, no spinning dots appear below this.

Any suggestions, advice would be greatly received,

A.

Last edited:

pyrojoe34

Cadet
This has been a known issue for many people for a while now. I have the same problem as do many others. I can install and run Ubuntu without issue but can't run Windows (tried both 7 and 10). I don't think there's a fix you can do until they address it on their end. IIRC it is thought to be related to AMD CPUs but apparently some people with Intel have the same problem.

Look through the post history to find the other posts that also have had this issue.

Uziman

Cadet
Sorry for bumping this thread but I found this post as I too have the same issue with Win10 & Win7 on a N40L. I have been searching on why and now I am a little relieved that it's not me doing something wrong and others are having the same problems.

Has there been any fixes in the last couple of months?

pyrojoe34

Cadet
Sorry for bumping this thread but I found this post as I too have the same issue with Win10 & Win7 on a N40L. I have been searching on why and now I am a little relieved that it's not me doing something wrong and others are having the same problems.

Has there been any fixes in the last couple of months?
It should be fixed with the release of 11.1 which is hopefully coming in the next month (it's due in 12 days). Hopefully it actually is fixed by then.

ChrisK

Cadet
Hey guys, I came across this thread after running into the same issue on FN11.1, so it doesnt look like its completely fixed. I've been playing around a bit (mainly trial and error) and I managed to get a working Win10 image up. I had to resort to some very unorthodox methods but I can share if you like.
Its still quite unstable via RealVNC and I'm not sure why), but it seems to respond much faster with RDP.
In the end I would recommend two things - check your permissions on the ISO repository (assuming youre using one) and if all else fails, just delete the VM and start again from scratch.

Fongaboo

Dabbler
I'd love to know what you did. Trying to install Windows Server 2012r2 and I can't get beyond 12% preparing files before it freezes.

ezra

Contributor
This is well known issue with AMD processors and FreeBSD has that issue too
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/25131

I can install and use Windows Server 2016 just fine BUT using only one vCore
With 2 cores it might boot but will crash very soon
FreeNAS 11.1-U1
1 Core works indeed, strange... Hope this will get ironed out anytime soon...

nate456789

Cadet
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I am having this issue too. 6 core AMD on my machine. But exact issue as OP. So this is still not fixed. I will be trying just using 1 core tonight when I get home. Hopefully they can figure this out and get a fix

gegtor

Explorer
FreeNAS 11.2 - BETA 1 should have this fixed by now

Give it a try

It brings many cool VM features and is more stable

p30n

Cadet
so this is not fixed on the 11.1-U5 release?
I would like to avoid upgrading to Beta release since I might have to redo some jails then as I understood it? But if thats needed I will have to do it...

gegtor

Explorer
so this is not fixed on the 11.1-U5 release?
I would like to avoid upgrading to Beta release since I might have to redo some jails then as I understood it? But if thats needed I will have to do it...

11.1-Ux Will not receive this fix at all
Beta-2 is out give it a try and remember to report bugs ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.