Can my CPU run VMs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seedz

Dabbler
I read the requirements, but i'm not sure my CPU is able or unable to run freenas VMs

i'm currently running the 11-nightlies build, i'm now on FreeNAS-11.2-MASTER-201805080407

My CPUs are a pair of (really old) Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2373 EE

this is what the command to check AMD compatibilty answers :
Code:
# grep POPCNT /var/run/dmesg.boot
  Features2=0x802009<SSE3,MON,CX16,POPCNT>

should NRIPS show in there if i had it ?

implied question :
if i want to use a ubuntu or a debian for a specific use, how would i do it if my CPU indeed can't run BHYVE ?

Last edited:

KrisBee

Wizard
Current FN guide only mentions NRIPS with respect to K10 Kuma core. Guess the only way to know for sure is to try it. Don't forget BIOS settings for virtualisation.

If bhyve does not support your CPU then I've no idea if virtualbox can still be made to run in a jail on FreeNAS 11.

seedz

Dabbler
Well, i've tried several times.
VMs don't want to start.

I had setup an ESX on this same machine long long ago, and it worked (BIOS virtualisations options are on)

KrisBee

Wizard
A pity, I consider I'm lucky that bhyve will run on my old AMD desktop quad-core CPU if need be. ESX or KVM is not a problem.

seedz

Dabbler
well, at least i have 32Go of DDR2 ECC RAM, which is nice and enables me to run a lot of jails.
i wanted to test out BigBlueButton, which is a ubuntu 16.04 only software now, and didn't want to have to power up the super old atom "shuttle" i have in a corner from 10y ago again, and didn't want to crush my power bill by getting my old i7 950 machine back online either :p

Status
Not open for further replies.