Windows: Ethernet connection with WIfi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oguruma

Patron
I want to connect a laptop with both RJ-45 for LAN and Wifi for internet access.

I want to steer the PC via TightVNC (LAN) and use the Wifi connection for the internet.

Is this possible? If so, does anybody know how I would go about this?

Nick2253

Wizard
This is possible, if I understand correctly. This should "just work"™. If your wifi and lan are on different networks, Windows should have no problem being connected to both of them at the same time. Each network device will have a different IP, and Windows should be smart enough to figure out that you only have internet access via one of those connections. When you want to connect to your laptop, you need to use the IP of the LAN port.

oguruma

Patron
This is possible, if I understand correctly. This should "just work"™. If your wifi and lan are on different networks, Windows should have no problem being connected to both of them at the same time. Each network device will have a different IP, and Windows should be smart enough to figure out that you only have internet access via one of those connections. When you want to connect to your laptop, you need to use the IP of the LAN port.

Thanks for the reply. I should have specified: The LAN connection also has an internet connection as well.

I need to figure out a way to make Windows use the Wifi connection for internet, even though, the LAN connection has and internet connection, as well.

Nick2253

Wizard
It would probably help if you explained what you are trying to accomplish. If both connections have internet, why do you care how it connects? If anything, I'd think you'd want everything to connect over the wired connection since that will be more reliable.

tvsjr

Guru
What this smells like is... "I have my corporate PC connected to the LAN, but they block stuff and I don't like it. I've connected to guest WIFI, my hotspot, whatever via WiFi, and I want all my Intarwebz traffic to go out via the WiFi so I can do whatever I want."

Am I close, OP?

oguruma

Patron
What this smells like is... "I have my corporate PC connected to the LAN, but they block stuff and I don't like it. I've connected to guest WIFI, my hotspot, whatever via WiFi, and I want all my Intarwebz traffic to go out via the WiFi so I can do whatever I want."

Am I close, OP?

Negative, Ghost Rider.

We have a surveillance system behind the firewall. I need to set up teamviewer on it for vendor support. I am not made privy to any of the topography, but it looks something like:

Site-1 Router <--Internet/Site-to-Site--> Site-2 Router <> Our switch <> Our PC

I am responsible for everything from the switch onward, but the router is the responsibility of our IT staff, and they aren't helpful. They said if I could make the Wifi Hotspot work for what we need, I could do as such. We could always have another cable demarc, but I'd just as well do the hotspot route.

Nick2253

Wizard
This honestly raises more questions than it answers.

First you were using VNC, now you're using Teamviewer? Your IT staff isn't helpful, but they're willing to support a backdoor ISP on their network?

Where is the surveillance system on this network? Is your problem that things are being blocked by a firewall? How are you configuring Teamviewer that it doesn't work with your topology. Why can't you do a client initialized session if the firewall is blocking inbound connections? Why do you need a laptop if the surveillance system is on a server? Why does tho site-to-site connection matter at all in this question?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Haven't I heard a very similar story before?

tvsjr

Guru
If that's really the case, you need to go to whomever is in charge of your IT department and explain that you require them to properly configure the firewalls/routers to support access via TeamViewer or whatever for vendor support. If they fail to do so (or present a workable alternative), the security system won't work... and you'll have no choice but to tell executive leadership that their video surveillance isn't working.

rogerh

Guru
It should be easy to make Windows use just one gateway for default routing to the Internet, indeed it would be hard to make it use both. And if it is an autonomous Windows system with no group policy imposed on it it should be easy to set the WiFi gateway in the IP properties of the Ethernet connection. Exactly how is probably Windows version specific, and I really only know XP. But there will be a place to do manual settings which are saved.
If you have problem with the Ethernet network advertising a route to the network you want to reach and somehow telling your laptop about it (showing my ignorance here), then you actually have to alter the routing table so that the route via the WiFi network is specified. I expect that it is as easy to do on Windows as on a Unix-like system but you would have to look up how.

Status
Not open for further replies.