Combine WiFi with wired adapter in FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wungun

Contributor
I'm hardwired to my Gb LAN to my server... My internet speed (particularly upload) isn't the greatest... So I want to add a WiFi adapter and connect it to my friends WiFi next door.
I'm assuming FreeNAS can utilize both to increase my internet bandwidth...?
Serving duties will still be handled with my router/LAN.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

FreeNAS will scale to your Internet speed just like any other device.

wungun

Contributor
.... Meaning what exactly?

The answer to your original question is.....yes.

The question is can your router handle 2 WANs?

wungun

Contributor
Excellent! Thanks for the reply, DifferentStrokes

wungun

Contributor
Hmmm... Would they have to be in same subnet? Router is running ddwrt so maybe it can be configured...? Not sure how.... Its all new to me, shotgunning networks.

gpsguy

I don't know where you were planning to put the "WiFi adapter". FreeNAS doesn't support wireless NIC's.

My guess, is that whatever you are planning, won't work very well. Just search the forum for folks trying to access content from the FreeNAS server, over a wireless connection.

wungun

Contributor
I'm not trying to access my content over wifi, I'm trying to increase WAN bandwidth, mainly for torrent traffic.
However, Chromecast works brilliantly with Plex plugin, as does streaming media to my phone/tablet over the internet.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
He's not and what he's proposing actually has nothing to do with freenas. He wants to bond 2 WAN's to speed up his internet access.

I doubt your router is going to support dual WANs. You will have to like into something else, like pfSense, etc.

wungun

Contributor
Not sure where you guys are going with this....
My wired adapter is connected to my router/internet. WiFi adapter will connect to a different router/internet.
I don't see that MY router would need to do anything special. Or any router for that matter.....?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Not sure where you guys are going with this....
My wired adapter is connected to my router/internet. WiFi adapter will connect to a different router/internet.
I don't see that MY router would need to do anything special. Or any router for that matter.....?

Perhaps it's because you state "I'm trying to increase WAN bandwidth". This entails a multi-WAN environment (assuming that you don't want to spend money to increase bandwidth provided by your ISP). The proper place to configure WAN load balancing is at the network perimeter and not on a server residing on your LAN. If you configure it correctly, then all of your clients will benefit from the theoretical increased aggregate WAN bandwidth. You can look into Sophos UTM Home Edition since the wireless support under PFSense is only marginally better than wireless support under Windows 98 (this is assuming that Sophos contains wireless drivers).

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
No. WiFi won't work in freenas. How about that for the final answer?

There is nothing 'WAN' about your server that is on the LAN.

danb35

Hall of Famer
This goes back to @gpsguy's question about where you're intending to put the WiFi adapter. If you're thinking of putting in your FreeNAS box, stop thinking about that--it won't work for at least two reasons. First, as @pirateghost just noted above, FreeNAS doesn't support WiFi. Second, FreeNAS doesn't support bonding multiple network interfaces. Besides, there's no sense in giving the extra bandwidth to only one host on your LAN.

The correct way to do this (and the reason that many folks on this thread have assumed you meant to do this with your router) is with your router. Most consumer NAT/routers don't support multiple WANs, so you'd need something a bit more advanced like pfSense or Sophos. With this solution, the two Internet connections are bonded together at your router, so your LAN sees, and can use, all the available bandwidth.

wungun

Contributor
I was talking WiFi the whole time... Not had wiring two routers together.
Thanks for the post

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I was talking WiFi the whole time... Not had wiring two routers together.

That is what you said in your original post:

I'm hardwired to my Gb LAN to my server... My internet speed (particularly upload) isn't the greatest... So I want to add a WiFi adapter and connect it to my friends WiFi next door.
I'm assuming FreeNAS can utilize both to increase my internet bandwidth...?

What you are asking is not possible. Not in the way you think it is. Your internet comes in via the WAN interface. Your freenas box is on your LAN. The wireless internet at your buddies next door is on his LAN. There is no way you can bond the two LAN's and make it work.

wungun

Contributor
What if I used a wireless repeater to bring in my friends WiFi... And add a second LAN card to the server? Or hardwire the repeater to my router and configure it that way....?

It would have to go to your router, not to the FreeNAS box.

wungun

Contributor
Okay... But if the option is there in the router, what settings am I looking for....?
Thanks for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.