Windows 8.1 & CIFS shares - what is the USERNAME for the client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjcharles

Cadet
I am trying to configure my FREENAS 9.2.1.6 to log into the CIFS share securely with Windows 8.1.

The FREENAS documentation clearly says:

Configuring Local User Access
If you would like each user to authenticate before accessing the CIFS share, configure local user access as follows:
1. If you are not using Active Directory or LDAP, create a user account for each user in Account → Users → Add User with the following attributes:

• Username and Password: matches the username and password on the client system
What exactly is my Windows 8.1 username (the client system) and how can I find it? Is it simply the "Steve" that I see on the login page? Is it the email address associated with the login and microsoft account? Or something else?

Sorry if this seems like a very simple question, but I am unable to find the answer anywhere.

Thanks!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you use a window account to log in, email, then it's your email address which won't work unless it's short. If you have a local about with username Steve then that is your username. But really you can use anything you want. When accessing the share it will prompt you for a username and password if the current sessions username and password don't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.