Windows 8 user account incompatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAschr

Cadet
Hi, I am still relatively new to freenas, so forgive my ignorance. I have been trying to setup a CIFS share with passwords on the network. I have been using the anonymous logon for the last couple months but recently family has been deleted some important files on accident, so I'd like a seperate dataset with a password. I added a new user a followed the freenas guide exactly for creating a new share with the user as owner. Everything shows up as it should but when I try to login using my freenas account, It won't accept my username and password. For my account name I used a different one from my windows account name. Since I have windows tied to my email address, I has to many characters to be used as a freenas user. Doing some research I found microsoft allows you to change your account name, but you can only input your actually name as they require you to put in a first and last name. When you put those in it automatically puts a space between them, which freenas won't accept either. So is there any work around, or am I missing something completely.
Thanks in advance!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The local Windows account name is absolutely irrelevant. The only issue is if it matches the FreeNAS user but the passwords don't match - that's an annoying case, but it's not yours.

Give the FreeNAS user an appropriate name.

Open the share in Windows. You'll be asked for credentials - enter them and tell Windows to save them.

Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.