SOLVED Windows 10 cloud accounts access to CIFS Windows Shares? AND: extreme 1 file/s max slow file copying

Status
Not open for further replies.

devnullius

Patron
In one of my threads I asked for a local file explorer to manipulate files ON the NAS itself (instead working over a CIFS / Unix share). This was hard (though I should be install a Jail with midnight commander included that is able to browse outside of the Jail).

One of the questions I received was WHY would you want this... This is a *N*AS...!

I'll give an example as of why. Currently, I backed up a hard drive with many (too) long folder & file names. I did this backup with 7zip (no compression) from Windows 10 PC to CIFS on FreeNAS. The reason for this was (besides file names being too long) also the SLOW (<1 file/s) copy progress when many extreme small files are involved. A terrabyte could take well over 24h to copy.

Now I want to EXTRACT that backup (7zip archive) IN the CIFS, where the 7zip archive is.

Without local file explorer, 7zip or winrar now first has to pull the archive data from NAS to Win 10 client; extract the data locally in TEMP/RAM; copy extracted data BACK to NAS. This works at about 2.2MB/s... Same when using Winrar, but to my surprise winrar at least managed to give some big and fast pushes once in a while, giving a little higher average over the network.

So yeah... That's why I prefer to work locally ;p

Devvie

Post-edit: article I mentioned can be found here https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...for-file-management-on-freenas-volumes.41787/

Last edited:

devnullius

Patron
Strange. I destroyed all data sets once more and started from scratch. And again, I couldn't get my windows client connected to my CIFS share. Solution was, when resetting password didn't help either, rebooting FreeNAS 9.3. did I think that's strange... But now I can map succesfully.

Last edited:

gpsguy

Since you restarted, you might want to try the new FreeNAS 9.10 instead. It uses FreeBSD 10.3-RC3 under the hood.

devnullius

Patron
I finally finished a 3 week dance with data transfers... Can I easily upgrade, or should I wait a bit? I'd love to jump upwards, but I've been warned this can be very dangerous, no? I am currently backing up my HP Home Server to my FreeNAS. Disk 1 of 3 is half way now... I'll keep that running and check back here when it's done. When it is trivial to upgrade, I'm certain to follow - thanks for the tip!

Devvie

Post-edit: I went ahead and killed my current backup job due to the forced auto-reboot of FreeNAS 9.3 :) Now, running 9.10 and all is smooth except for one small detail (which I'll post new thread for).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.