WiFi NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Hi;

I am playing with a FreeNAS setup to get the hang of it before I get my actual HDDs for my real version.

I have managed to set up a three disc ZFS Stripe (With 1 x 40GB SATA I, 1 x 80GB IDE and 1 x 1TB SATA I HDD), still don't quite understand the various options even though I have read through various guides etc.

I am currently connected to my Network via Cat5 Ethernet but would like to test a Wireless setup.

I have a spare DLink DWL G122 USB WiFi adaptor but haven't got a clue how to get it up and running, my other option is a spare DLink 2000AP+which is an access point that can be setup as a Wireless Client but I have a feeling it will only connect to other DLink products?

Can someone point me to a guide on installing WiFi devices, does it involve editing the loader?

Thanks

ProtoSD

MVP
WiFi drivers/kernel modules are not installed on FreeNAS because the performance sucks and most people using a NAS are pushing/pulling big files. You can download the ISO for FreeBSD 8.2, and find the corresponding .ko file for your device, copy it to your FreeNAS flash drive /boot/kernel folder, and add it to the tunables section in the GUI, which puts it in /boot/loader.conf

You're going to need to do some searching/homework to find out which module (.ko file) is for your device, but also, you'll need to round up the proper encryption modules and do the same. I helped someone in another thread do it, if you search you can find it.

It's really a lot of hassle for such little bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.