Where did Transmissions Download Directory go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad1976

Dabbler
(Sorry in advance for length, but just trying to offer as much detail as possible in advance...)

Unlike the vast majority of guides out there which have a number of plugins all integrated together, all I'm looking for is a very simple clean install of the Transmission plugin for torrents. I'm not interested in any other plugins at this time.

The only tutorial I've been able to find thus far that only deals with installing and configuration of Transmission is this YouTube video here: https://youtu.be/GIdlYUHLaOo

At 7 min into the video, Dick pulls up the Transmission configuration and specifies the download folder... My problem is that for me, there is no field to specify the download folder... I only have the options to specify Watch, Incomplete Downloads and Script Torrent Done....

Using a third party app called Transmission Remote GUI (which I found due to another thread on these forums by zufallsheld, and originally to him by HolyK) when attempting to add a new torrent the "Add New Torrent" window appears and specifies a destination folder of /mnt/jails/downloads. This is rather perplexing because I actually cannot find that folder anywhere using Putty, plus when I click on the "Browse" button in the Transmission Remote GUI to select another folder, I get the message Unable to find path mapping. Use the applications options to setup path mappings (Um, how can I set up the path mapping when there is no field available to specify the Download Directory???)

I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but I have two pools running. The first pool, named "Tank", is on a 3Tb + 4Tb stripped, and then mirrored on another set of identical drives. Then I have two 256 Samsung EVO Pro SSD's mirrored. All of my data is stored on the HDDs in one pool with various datasets. The all the plugins and jails are in another pool on the SSDs.

Within the Tank pool I have a dataset called Torrents, owned by the user "torrents" and the group "media" with full owner permissions, full group permissions and Read and Execute permissions under Other. Permission type is Windows.

Within the Jails pool, the "transmission_1" dataset created by the installation process, has still using the default "root" and "wheel" user and group.

As I mentioned above, when I log into the FreeNAS as root via Putty, I cannot find that "/mnt/Downloads" folder anywhere.....

Can anyone out there suggest something where I can try to change the Downloads folder path that I'm either not thinking of, or just don't know because of my obvious noob level that I can try to take a look at?

Thank in advance for any help...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
  1. Most standard settings are available in the transmission webui and remote gui including the download directory. In the latest version of the transmission PBI I removed these redundant settings from the FreeNAS transmission menu so they would be overwriting each other.
  2. Anything you set the download directory to would be relative to the transmission jail's perspective; so likely at /mnt/Tank/Jails/transmission_1/X

Brad1976

Dabbler
Hi Joshua! Thanks for the super fast reply!

Thanks to you I now have it working and I successfully added a torrent, deleted it (just to test) re-added and it completed. Upon completing the download, through the Windoze share I was able to make a copy of the file to another folder, and used the Transmission Remote GUI to delete it along with the data file. I then downloaded it one more time and deleted the torrent from transmission WITHOUT deleting the data to see if I could manually delete it, and I didn't have permissions... Now I'm stuck with data that I can't seam to delete. *bangs head on keyboard*

I went to the users to edit my main user (Brad) and added myself to the transmission group, but I still don't have permissions to delete the torrent data via the torrent share... The only way I was able to delete it was to temporarily change the owner / group for the dataset to myself and save the permission recursively, and then change the user / group for the dataset back to "transmission"...

So, transmission is working now thanks to you! But is there a way that I would be able to allow myself to delete files (just in the odd case that something may go awry) without being required to change the ownership of the dataset to myself and then returning it back to transmission when I'm done? (It would also make it a little easier to just cut and paste where I want the data to be stored when I need to keep it, as opposed to copying through the Windoze Share and then going into the Transmission Remote GUI and removing both the torrent and data...

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi Joshua! Thanks for the super fast reply!

Thanks to you I now have it working and I successfully added a torrent, deleted it (just to test) re-added and it completed. Upon completing the download, through the Windoze share I was able to make a copy of the file to another folder, and used the Transmission Remote GUI to delete it along with the data file. I then downloaded it one more time and deleted the torrent from transmission WITHOUT deleting the data to see if I could manually delete it, and I didn't have permissions... Now I'm stuck with data that I can't seam to delete. *bangs head on keyboard*

I went to the users to edit my main user (Brad) and added myself to the transmission group, but I still don't have permissions to delete the torrent data via the torrent share... The only way I was able to delete it was to temporarily change the owner / group for the dataset to myself and save the permission recursively, and then change the user / group for the dataset back to "transmission"...

So, transmission is working now thanks to you! But is there a way that I would be able to allow myself to delete files (just in the odd case that something may go awry) without being required to change the ownership of the dataset to myself and then returning it back to transmission when I'm done? (It would also make it a little easier to just cut and paste where I want the data to be stored when I need to keep it, as opposed to copying through the Windoze Share and then going into the Transmission Remote GUI and removing both the torrent and data...
All I know is UNIX permissions so I can try to help but it still might no work in the end because I don't know how that plays a factor.

I'm assuming you didn't set the permission setting is in the Transmission Settings menu, in the FreeNAS WebUI, left panel. The default is 755 which means only the user with UID=921 (like transmission in the jail) can delete downloaded files. With transmission you can relax this permission to something like 775 or 777 which makes things simpler. Also to confirm, did you set your transmission group in FreeNAS to use GID=921?

Brad1976

Dabbler
Hey Josh, I sincerely thank you for your help. Sadly, when I went to check the permissions, somehow the Transmission was corrupted and I ended up with no alternative but to delete the entire jail... Then, karma kicked in and I got super sick... (Burdens of being a single parent and the beginnings of a new school year. lol)

As soon as I can get some other things on the proverbial To Do list caught up that I fell behind on, I plan on giving this another go.... But for now I just wanted to say a quick thank you and I'll post results as soon as I can. :)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
No prob. goodluck with the sickness and getting your list done.

Status
Not open for further replies.