What motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdDigital

Cadet
Hey,

Im new to this FreeNas stuff. I would like to build my own NAS for data storage and streaming, on top of that Im gonna host a minecraft server on it for about 10 people at first and later expand it to a greater playerbase.

This is my build so far: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/4RCgVn

I still need a motherboard and a case, in terms of the power supply im going to use one from an old computer.

What motherboard and case should I get? I really dont wanna spend more than 100 euro ~~130 us dollars on a case, same thing for the motherboard.

Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
Have you looked at the hardware recommendations thread? It would answer your question. It would also tell you that the RAM you've spec'ed is inappropriate as it doesn't do ECC, and that you shouldn't rely on "PSU from an old computer."

ColdDigital

Cadet
Have you looked at the hardware recommendations thread? It would answer your question. It would also tell you that the RAM you've spec'ed is inappropriate as it doesn't do ECC, and that you shouldn't rely on "PSU from an old computer."
Yea I did, though the motherboards are really expensive there. The ones I saw start from 120 dollars or so, was aiming more towards the lower than 100 ones. Perhaps I can buy a used one from ebay.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It is what it is. Actually, on amazon.de, recommended boards are around 200 Euro. If you want to save some money and get something cheaper, knock yourself out--it will probably work fine. If it doesn't, though, you won't likely find much sympathy here--the recommendations are what they are for a reason.

If you want to save some money, you could replace your Xeon with an i3.

Edit: or look into two popular low-cost prebuilt servers--the Lenovo TS140 or the Dell T20. The latter can be had in the US for under $200, though you'll spend a bit more if you want a Xeon. Last I looked at the TS140s, you could get one with a low-end Xeon for about $300. Drives are extra, of course, and you'd probably want to add RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.