What is the proper way to destroy a pool and use replication to restore it from my backup machine?

dizydre21

Dabbler
Hello all,

I have really been struggling to understand how the replication and snapshots are supposed to work. I haven't really found any forum material on the proper way to restore all data from a backup TrueNAS machine to my main TrueNAS machine. I'm running TrueNAS scale 22.12.2.

My hardware is in my signature for reference. What I have now is a main machine and a backup machine, "TrueNAS" and "TrueNAS-bak" respectively. I have a replication push task set up on "TrueNAS" from the top level that includes all of my datasets in one nightly task. I want to completely destroy the pool on this main machine, add two more drives for a 8x6GB striped mirror, then restore all of the data from "TrueNAS-bak" so that it is identical to the original, but evenly distributed across the drives. I would then destroy the pool on "TrueNAS-bak", add 2 more drives, and restore it from "TrueNAS".

How do I do this correctly?

My previous attempts were done without actually destroying the "TrueNAS" pool. I created a replication push task on the backup machine and put some additional files into the datasets before having it run. The replication appears to successfully complete, but none of the new files ever get put on the main machine. I'm sure that I am misunderstanding something, so again, how do I do this correctly?