New 8 Drive Setup Advice and Replication Task

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfast500

Explorer
I setup my replication server awhile back to house my data while I recreate my new pool.
Today I was able to finally get my two new 3tb drives for my current 6x3tb freenasbox

Once I destroy my current pool how do I restore it? Do I turn my push machine(main freenas) into my pull replication server and push from my backup server?

raidz2 (8x3tb)

or

2x raidz1 (4x3tb)

nojohnny101

Wizard
I think there are multiple ways you could do this. I personally just created a share on the PULL machine and mounted shares from both the PULL and PUSH machines and copied data over that way.

I believe you can also do as you said, and replicate the data back but I do not have any experience with this.

raidz2 (8x3tb)
or
2x raidz1 (4x3tb)

Is that a question? 1st one?

tfast500

Explorer
I think there are multiple ways you could do this. I personally just created a share on the PULL machine and mounted shares from both the PULL and PUSH machines and copied data over that way.

I believe you can also do as you said, and replicate the data back but I do not have any experience with this.

Doing the way I mentioned did not work as I ended up with Tank/Backup/Media instead of my clean pool tree of Tank/Media (could not figure out how to get the extra dataset level out of my filesystem tree...). Could just be me not knowing what the hell I am doing, but I tried several things to get it to clean up like only doing one dataset at a time and turning off recursion also pointing the replication task to the root, all with no dice.
I am currently doing a rsync ssh from my backup box to my main seems to be working (Not sure how the jails will work if at all by going this route?)

Is that a question? 1st one?

I was thinking the same but then in the IRC today someone mentioned the performance gain and resilver time being much more efficient with the smaller vdevs of z1. Also the fact that if I ever want to grow my pool by swapping out drives with larger ones, it will be cheaper doing 4 vs all 8 at a time. I would be able to lose two drives just not in the same vdev... but in the off chance that would happen I still have my backup server.

So I am confused and ended up with option 2. If its not still the recommended way it not too late. I can start over :)

nojohnny101

Wizard
I was thinking the same but then in the IRC today someone mentioned the performance gain and resilver time being much more efficient with the smaller vdevs of z1. Also the fact that if I ever want to grow my pool by swapping out drives with larger ones, it will be cheaper doing 4 vs all 8 at a time. I would be able to lose two drives just not in the same vdev... but in the off chance that would happen I still have my backup server.

So I am confused and ended up with option 2. If its not still the recommended way it not too late. I can start over :)
These are all valid points but it really just depends on what you want. The reason people often don't recommend raidz1 anymore is because drive sizes have increase greatly since the days when a 1tb drive was not common. If you are using larger drives (which you are) and a drive dies, you will be fine. However, when the array starts to resilver, the chance of another disk getting an error during the resilver process is not rare, to the point where most people don't take the risk and rightfully so don't recommend others either. If another drive dies during the resilver process on a raidz1 vdev, you're data is toast, the whole pool.

Multiple people on here have backups and that is fine if you don't care about downtime and can handle the time and effort it takes to restore from a backup. Personally, while I have a whole second freenas box dedicated to being a replication target, I still use raidz2 because I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of having to restore my tbs and tbs of data when/if my pool goes down.

It's all a personal choice. If you understand the tradeoffs and understand how the raidz levels work in terms of function, behavior during failures, and so forth, then by all means go with whatever is appropriate and you feel fits your needs/comfort level.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Search for howto migrate bigger pool.

I have a post on the steps to take to move to a bigger pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.