Restore Pools & Datasets from FreeNAS GUI

vafk

Contributor
Today I had a special task to change the RAID-Z design on my main FreeNAS from Raid-Z1 to Raid-Z2.

I had my main system with pool nas1 and several datasets replicated to backup1 and backup2. Now when I wanted to get my datasets back I did not find a one-button-klick to restore. Instead I had to da the other way around, i.e. create a snapshot of all datasets on backup and a replication task from backup to main system.

I don't know if this is the right way to do so and I hope it is not very cumbersome to get the data back. I read many posts where users are asking about copying one pool into another and all the answers I see is to use command line with zfs send | zfs receive. I hope that I am wrong that the current FreeNAS is not to be uses in a mix from GUI and command line when it comes to restore one's data.

Appreciate if someone can point me to the right source where it is explained. Thanks!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Replication is running the zfs send | recv in the background together with the requisite snapshots.

There is no distinction between "restoring data" and "copying new data" as far as FreeNAS is concerned, so you shouldn't expect a specific GUI function to appear for that.

In your case, you used the GUI to set up a replication task (usually a repetetive action) for the relatively unique event of "restoring" the replicated data to the "source", which most folks find is better done at the command line due to this unique nature of the event. To each his/her own. What you did is valid, (although you're going to want to remove that replication job now).

vafk

Contributor
@sretalla

Thank you for clarification. I start to understand. However it makes me not feel comfortable using GUI for backup (yes I know this is not the "true" backup but hope you understand) and CLI for restore. Because "backup" is done by a regular base (daily etc) while restore only on demand (hopefully never) so using CLI once in a life time need lot of concentration.

Now this is what I faced this morning after the system replicated the night through: half of the datasets were OK and the other half was buggy. When I "ls" the mnt/nas1 directory it showed me only the working datasets. Midnight Commander would show me the bugged datasets in red color and a "?" in front of them, i.e. "Pictures" was "?Pictures". Never mind I thought, deleted the datasets, deleted tasks and recreated all and replicate again.

I have a second problem: part of the working datasets are read only. I followed this thread

checking with "zfs get readonly" and fixing with "zfs set readonly=off [dataset]"

Maybe this is not a problem but misunderstanding from my side. After pools or datasets are copied to another location, are they marked as readonly by default? If so, then must I use CLI with "zfs set readonly=off [dataset]" to be able to access them or is there something to select in the GUI when replicating them to indicate that this is a copy and access to it is permitted (without having to adjust the destination later by CLI commands)?

I still do not understand what went wrong & what I did wrong but in this stage must state that I need badly a clear step-by-step tutorial, how to
1) copy dataset@FreeNAS1 to dataset@FreeNAS2
2) after destroy dataset@FreeNAS1 copy dataset@FreeNAS2 to dataset@FreeNAS1
3) While keeping all permissions & ACL as they were in the original dataset before these steps were done.

One more question: In my pool "nas1" there are several datasets so for each dataset I created a snapshot task and a replication task. So with 15 datasets it comes to 30 tasks. Is it possible to have only one snapshot task for pool "nas1" (that will include all datasets") and also one replication task to copy "nas1" to let say "backup1"? I have not tried doing this because I was afraid I could mess up with my replica on backup1...

Last edited:

sretalla