What is "System dataset pool"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugin

Cadet
Hey guys,
I just got my FreeNAS setup installed last night and everything is going great! I had a warning pop up this morning telling me "No system pool configured, please configure one in..." I checked the documentation for what this setting was but the "System dataset pool" and "Use system dataset for syslog" settings were not listed. Can someone tell me what this does so I can clear the warning without breaking everything?

Thanks!
-Brad

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
In latest builds there is a .system directory used for smb3 configs as well as syslog store on your zfs volume. In the settings you need to have one selected as for the check box you can select it if you want. The default is checked.

scurrier

Patron
I'd like to see more documentation on this as well. It makes changing volumes around very hard because you have to juggle this system directory around. I don't know if it can be abused and deleted or not.

pttymuth

Dabbler
This is documented for the upcoming 9.2.2 version: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Settings#Advanced_Tab.

It would be nice if this dataset showed up in the WebGUI like all the other ones, so that people could manage it how they like. One use-case might be to replicate the ".system" dataset to another pool on the FreeNAS system. While that should be possible from the command line, it would be nice if the same could be done with the familiar WebGUI. Just a suggestion!

D

dlavigne

You're saying it doesn't show up in Volumes -> View Volumes? If not, create a feature request at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here. Include your sample use case on why this is a desirable feature.

SCS

Dabbler
I was curious if there was any penalty in running this on your mirrored SSD SLOG.

Has anyone tried this?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I was curious if there was any penalty in running this on your mirrored SSD SLOG.
No, burdening what needs to be extremely low-latency storage with a constant stream of small writes is going to have no impact whatsoever. /s

Every single time that sharing SLOG with anything else is brought up, it gets dismissed as a horrible idea. Please search and read the available documentation (cyberjock's guide goes over this) - the last thing we need is for people to think that it's a remotely good idea.

SCS

Dabbler
I'm sorry but your response seems a bit contradictory.

First you say:
No, burdening what needs to be extremely low-latency storage with a constant stream of small writes is going to have no impact whatsoever. /s

Then you end with :

Every single time that sharing SLOG with anything else is brought up, it gets dismissed as a horrible idea....

the last thing we need is for people to think that it's a remotely good idea.

I'll go and ready CyberJock's Guide I was just curious if you could clarify your stance?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.