What get written to the USB drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwchan69

Contributor
If I plan to run FreeNAS off a USB stick, what actually get written to the USB? I presume it is not stateless and I am guessing your configuration data (IP, LUN, drive info) get written to the USB. Does it also used the USB for temp/scratch disk also? Or can that be redirect ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's almost stateless. The OS is loaded into RAM, with all logs in RAM. The USB stick itself is read-only, with one exception. /data which is where your config file goes is not read-only. The FreeNAS devs aren't a bunch of noobs that would do stupid things like putting logs on the USB stick and such.

dwchan69

Contributor
It's almost stateless. The OS is loaded into RAM, with all logs in RAM. The USB stick itself is read-only, with one exception. /data which is where your config file goes is not read-only. The FreeNAS devs aren't a bunch of noobs that would do stupid things like putting logs on the USB stick and such.

Thanks, I do have couple more quick questions.
1. If it is relatively stateless, where does swap goes? Assuming you do not have enough memory. For the system I am building, it has 32G of memory, and based on "top", I am seeing 30GB so far.

2. What is the best way to upgrade/patch FreeNAS on a usb? Do you do just burn a new USB stick and copy /data contents onto its?

Thanks

gpsguy

When you create a pool using the GUI it creates a 2Gb swap partition on each drive.

Sent from my phone

dwchan69

Contributor
1. ZFS will try to use ALL of your memory (which is good). Swap is spread across the pool, but not sure..

2. Best practice is to use a second usb drive I think so you always have a backup of your old config.

- Sent from mobile.

You mean having a second USB readily available? What about the data on the 1st USB. Can I just copy and paste the /data folder between USB or between version during upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.