What breakout cable do I use with the IBM m1015 card? also look over my parts list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricd7

Explorer
Hello,

I am in the process of buying parts for a new FreeNAS build. I will be using the IBM M1015 card in IT mode as an HBA. My case is a standard server case meaning I will need the SAS to 4 SATA cables for this card in order to plug in my disks. Can someone perhaps link me to the correct cable to use? Also, is there a number scheme or something on the cables so that I know the order of the disks? Will make it easier to replace a failed drive in the future. Here is the parts I plan to use for my build..let me know if you see any glaring problems:

Intel Core i3-2100 Dual-Core Processor 3.1 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80623I32100
SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-O LGA 1155 Intel C202 Micro ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard
(2) Kingston Technology ValueRAM 8GB Kit (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 MHz DIMM Desktop Server Memory KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G
IBM M1015 HBA in IT mode
PNY 4GB USB Drive for boot volume
6 x 2TB Hitachi Deskstar SATA disks (RAIDZ1 I think)

Thanks for all the help in advance!

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi electricd7,

I'm actually going to be bolting pretty much that exact motherboard-processor-memory combination into my existing filer tonight!

What you need are SFF-8087 cables. They come in 2 different "flavors":

Forward Breakout = crossover = SFF-8087 (Controller card) to 4x SAS/SATA ports on DRIVES
Reverse Breakout = 1:1 = SATA/SAS Ports (on Motherboard or controller) to SFF-8087 backplane

You will need "forward" cables available here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10254&cs_id=1025406

I use a Fractal Designs R3 case and bought the .75M ones which turned out to be just about the perfect length to go from the card, down to the case bottom & back up to the 8 drive sleds.

While you are ordering the 8087 cables you might as well get some Molex-to-SATA converters as well:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10226&cs_id=1022604

Use these so you only need to get 2 Molex power connectors to the drives instead of 6 proper SATA power connectors, makes for a real clean install.

-Will

electricd7

Explorer
Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for. Please post back and let me know of any pitfalls on your install and how it all works out. I am hoping for a rock solid filer.

paleoN

Wizard
6 x 2TB Hitachi Deskstar SATA disks (RAIDZ1 I think)
Given that you have 6 disks & they're 2TB I'd go with raidz2. It will give you an optimal zpool configuration and double-parity. :)

Just out of curiosity where did you pick up the IBM M1015?

electricd7

Explorer
Thanks for the input paleoN. I will consider that. I got the card from serversupply.com for like $85.

Status
Not open for further replies.