Weird dashboard problems and CPU use after upgrade to 11.2 U2.1

gsrcrxsi

Explorer
So I upgraded my system from 11.1 U.4 to 11.2 U2.1 yesterday.

Everything is functional, and performance seems fine. but the reporting metrics seem "off".

First, in the new UI, the dashboard routinely will not load some tiles. but sometimes they load. but it never seems to load all of them, only some.

Second, the CPU use numbers are way off, I'm seeing values like 1000000%, and there's no where to see CPU temp other than the dashboard widget that never loads. but if i switch to the Legacy UI, the CPU values are at least under 100% and i can see CPU temps there, but i'm seeing more activity than usual on the idle system. "pings" up to 60-80% when this never happened before with the same setup.

any ideas? there are no updates to try, I'm up to date.

Attachments

• FreeNAS CPU 1.PNG
    FreeNAS CPU 1.PNG
    209.8 KB · Views: 612
  • FreeNAS CPU Legacy.PNG
    FreeNAS CPU Legacy.PNG
    329.8 KB · Views: 685
  • FreeNAS Dash 1.PNG
    FreeNAS Dash 1.PNG
    99.9 KB · Views: 772
  • FreeNAS Dash 2.PNG
    FreeNAS Dash 2.PNG
    63.3 KB · Views: 814

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
any ideas?
It might be helpful if we knew more about the hardware that is under your FreeNAS. You can look at this post for some ideas of what is good to include:

Updated Forum Rules 12/5/18
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/updated-forum-rules-12-5-18.45124/

The most likely answer here, just based on what I am seeing, is that the new UI is having trouble parsing the data it is getting from your system and showing results that don't exactly make sense, or showing no results at all. To me, it looks like a bug, and it could be fairly specific to the quantity of cores you have. I see the system is reporting 40 cores, and I know that the Xeon E5-2680 v2 is a 10 core, that makes the system a dual socket unit, with hyper-threading. Still, knowing the exact hardware might be helpful, but I am thinking this is just a minor bug in the new UI. Have you setup an account on the https://redmine.ixsystems.com/projects/freenas/ site?

gsrcrxsi

Explorer
It might be helpful if we knew more about the hardware that is under your FreeNAS. You can look at this post for some ideas of what is good to include:

Updated Forum Rules 12/5/18
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/updated-forum-rules-12-5-18.45124/

The most likely answer here, just based on what I am seeing, is that the new UI is having trouble parsing the data it is getting from your system and showing results that don't exactly make sense, or showing no results at all. To me, it looks like a bug, and it could be fairly specific to the quantity of cores you have. I see the system is reporting 40 cores, and I know that the Xeon E5-2680 v2 is a 10 core, that makes the system a dual socket unit, with hyper-threading. Still, knowing the exact hardware might be helpful, but I am thinking this is just a minor bug in the new UI. Have you setup an account on the https://redmine.ixsystems.com/projects/freenas/ site?

I figured the hardware was easy to figure out since I included the important parts in my screenshot. Easy to figure it out just as you already have.

And the problem wasn’t apparent on the old UI, so I doubt it’s the hardwares fault. But the CPU “pings” are new.

But if you need everything explicitly stated:

Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ v1.20
2x Intel Xeon E5-2680v2
64 GB DDR3 Registered ECC
LSI 9207-8i HBA
4x WD Gold 6TB
4x WD Gold 4TB
(All 8 disks in the pool, all vdev mirrors RAID10-like)
1x Crucial M500 500GB SSD for VMdisks
1x Intel 40GB SSD for the Boot drive

Software use:
-Plex in a new iocage jail that I just migrated the configs and metadata over from the old warden jail
-Transmission still in the old warden jail
-OpenVPN still in the old warden jail
-PiHole running in a Ubuntu 16.04 server VM with 4 cores and 2Gb Ram (overkill)

All software still functional. Just this weird UI nonsense.

No I do not have an account there.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I figured the hardware was easy to figure out
I could figure out a few things but it is often useful to know exact parts just for comparison to other systems that are known to be working.
No I do not have an account there.
You might want to setup an account and file a bug report. From the info you provided, it still looks like a bug in how the new UI is handling the data it is getting from the system. Not saying anything is wrong with your system, just that the new UI might need a tweak or two to get it working properly.

Meyers

Patron
All I can say here is "me too." Same exact situation on five different systems and I have yet to find a solution (it's low priority). The graphs on the dashboard rarely load. The reporting graphs are all screwy if they load at all. The old UI's graphs work as expected.

Looks like there are several graphs related tickets open. I haven't read through them all but some of them seem to be dealing with the same issues.

nathank1989

Contributor
Same Here:
11.2-Release-u2.1
ASRockRack D1540d4i
2x Kingston 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR4 2133MHz
8x Hitatchi DESKSTAR 4Tb 7200rpm

Netdata works just fine, ever stat works and appears accurate. The reports section appears to match netdata; just the dashboard that doesn't work.

Attachments

• FreeNAS.PNG
    FreeNAS.PNG
    129.2 KB · Views: 752

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
This bug appears to be a similar issue: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/65223
However, having additional information on what is not working may assist the developers to isolate and correct the problem.
I would suggest opening bug reports if you would like to have the problem corrected. This appears to be a "growing pain" of getting the new User Interface working. There are a lot of moving parts involved in putting out an entirely new UI for a product a complicated as FreeNAS. Complaining to the forum allows us to discuss the issue, but it doesn't work toward resolving the the problem. Bug tickets, especially those opened from within the UI, include information that can actually help the dev team to fix the problem.
https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/system.html#support

jcmarco

Cadet
Using FreeNAS-11.2-U3 and it seems that the bug is still there.
Checking all the tickets referenced here and I find that all of them are closed.

The issue exists and I only see that it will be addressed in NA

My case:
HP Gen8 E3-1265v2 16GB RAM
SAS2008 IT Mode in passthrough with ESXi 6.7

No ethernet, CPU, memory info on the dashboard.

ncareau

Cadet
Also have the issue with latest version of Freenas-11.2-U4

This seems like a javascript error in the new UI, i'm getting this error in the console :
1557286017314.png

thatcherk1

Cadet
I have same problem, but it only began when I moved my system over to ESXi from bare metal today. Maybe it's a different problem.

jbbender22

Dabbler
I saw this and figured I'd post here instead of starting a new thread. I'm on 11.2-U4.1 and I'm having similar issues with reporting on my system. The issue just started for me. I had been on 11.2 versions for a few months now without issue, or at least nothing this severe. I had been on 11.2-U4.1 almost since it came out without issue.

What seemed to be the cause here was I added a new drive to act as a hot spare for my pool. I took the machine down, moved around my boot SSDs and installed the new drive, booted back up, and had issues with reporting. I had other issues seemingly related to a recent jail I made, but I seem to have fixed that by setting it to a static IP. I can provide more info on that if needed.

I have refrained from adding the new drive as a hot spare until I'm sure I'm not having other issues. I have tried accessing the GUI from multiple machines, and have also cleared my browser cache. I've tried Firefox and Chrome on Windows and standard Chromium on Ubuntu. The only graph that seems to work OK is the CPU Usage one. However, netdata appears to be reporting values properly. The reporting issue occurs in both the new UI and the Legacy UI. I saw several graph related issues in Jira as well. Hopefully we'll see a fix soon.

Thanks!

SMnasMAN

Contributor
same here FWIW, have ssd mirrored as boot (system in sig), i almost never use the new gui, but have been trying to get used to it recently. a majority of the reporting section looks really poor (ie free disk space in wrong units , graphs stretching beyond the browser viewport, ect)

Build FreeNAS-11.2-U5 Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2637 v2 @ 3.50GHz Memory 262067MB System Time Mon, 23 Sep 2019 02:41:19 -0500 Uptime 2:41AM up 20 days, 10:40, 6 users Load Average 0.85, 0.87, 0.99

Im happy with the old gui for the most part (i dont like the new gui, but maybe need to spend more time with it). One improvement of the new gui vs the old, is the snapshots page.

I know its been out nearly a year, but as of now- Do most people use the new gui or the old gui? tks

Meyers

Patron
Do most people use the new gui or the old gui?

I use the new GUI and for the most part have no problems with it. The reporting stuff is the worst though for all the reasons you described and more. It's basically been broken / useless to us since the 11.2 upgrade.