WebGUI not accessible after changing Ethernet Adapter / Mainboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

madtulip

Explorer
Today i changed my mainboard as the old one burned. The new MB didnt have an intel "igb0" ethernet adapter as before but a "re0" realtek bad thing.

The webGUi wouldnt show up and the console would hang in the screen shown here.:
https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_quick.html
Fig 3)a) right in the line after "14) Shutdown". I consider there is a bug in the script /etc/netcli (which i think is responsible for the console out depicted in Fig 3)a)). This script hangs if the previously configured NIC is no longer pysically present in the system so you can not use it to configure the new NIC.

I pressend ctrl+alt+f2 to get to a new responsive console window and logged in as root.

i edited /etc/rc.conf according to this page.:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/config-network-setup.html
in order to setup a static IP for the re0 adapter by i.e. adding
Code:
ifconfig_re0="inet 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0"

i then restarted the netif service so that the rc.conf is parsed again and the adapter is initialized with the static ip
Code:
service netif restart

at this point i triied to ping my gateway - worked.

next problem was that the webinterface was still not responsive under the new ip, that /etc/rc.vonf would get overwritten after each reboot and that i didnt know how to access the configuration freenas uses for its NICs. I guess that information is stored in some database for the webinterface. i guess the webinterface triies to bind itself to the NIC during bootup, failed at that as the NIC did fail before and thus wouldnt start.

so we have to start the webservice manualy and hope that it binds to the new currently working "re0".:
iirc i started.:
Code:
./usr/bin/sbin/nginx

which did restart the webinterface. For some lucky reason the webinterface now recognize the correctly configured "re0" and published itself on that although the wrong "igb0" entry was still present under network settings (in the webinterface).

in the webinterface i went to the network settings and deleted the "igb0" entry. afterwards the webinterface became unresponsive again and i rebooted the whole system. this point is also a little bit uncorrect/unintuitive/buggy i guess. It shouldnt bind to the NIC that is not configured in the webinterfaces settings. It was good luck for me that it did, because else i wouldnt know how to change the entry in the webinterfaces database.

Now that "igb0" was deleted the console out (/etc/netcli) wouldnt hang anymore after Fig 3)a) line "14) ...." (https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_quick.html).

I thus could execute option 1) of the console script to setup my "re0" adapter, which would correctly import those settings in the webguis database.

Im writing this so someone with the same problem might find this helpfull or it might get fixed.

have a nice day

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
Reboot, then in the console select "Configure Network Interfaces", from there you can reset interfaces and set-up the new NIC.

madtulip

Explorer
Im sorry, if my above post wasnt clear. /etc/netcli has a bug. It freezes, at least in my case, if the previously configured NIC "igb0" is no longer existing in the system. You can not use it to "Configure Network Interfaces". Ill make that clearer in the initial post.

pschatz100

Guru
If your setup is not particularly complicated, it might be easier to just backup your configuration, reinstall FreeNAS on the new hardware, then restore your configuration. Perhaps that way, your network devices will be recognized properly and all the bits and pieces will be set up correctly.

Since you didn't provide any description of your hardware, it is not possible to comment in more detail. However, it is known that FreeBSD, upon which FreeNAS is based, sometimes has issues with certain Realtek NIC implementations.

djidji perroto

Dabbler
I would like to bump this thread, as I believe I've hit the same issue on 9.10-u3.
I've moved from a AMD E350 mobo (Realtek adapter) to ASRock C236 WSI (intel i210/i219) and I get the console freeze.
As an alternative, is there a possibility that I mount another USB stick on which to backup the config and then do a clean installation?

pschatz100

Guru
If you can access the console, you can try reconfiguring the network interfaces. I think it is the first option in the list. If you are not comfortable trying that or it does not help, then a fresh install may be the easiest option. Just export the FreeNAS configuration to an accessible device. After you reinstall FreeNAS, reload the configuration and you will be good to go.

You should be in the habit of keeping backups of your configuration, just in case you need to restore the system. So, this would be a good time to make one.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.