Cannot Setup DHCP for Network Interface After Migrating Truenas to New Machine

lailakas

Dabbler
I recently migrated my Truenas to a new machine. After migration, the system cannot access internet, and the Webui cannot be accessed either.

What I did:
1. Turn the original setup off
2. Remove drives and pcie expansion cards
3. Replace motherboard, CPU, RAM
4. Put the drives and pcie expansion cards back
5. Boot the system

There are two NICs in the old setup: a 2.5G pcie expansion (re0), a 1G on the motherboard (em0). re0 is configured to be a DHCP server with 192.168.0.1/24 for server to server connection only, and em0 is configured to use DHCP and is assigned a static IP 192.168.1.200 by the router.

The new setup has the same 2.5G NIC (re0) and a different 1G NIC (igb0)
The machine booted and prompts that the WebUI can be accessed at 192.168.0.1. I tried to wire my laptop to the re0 nic but could not access the WebUI on 192.168.0.1.
So I figured I need to reconfigure network. I tried configure network interfaces on the console setup, deleting both re0 and igb0 and setup them individually. However, neither of them prompted me to setup DHCP. After answering "n" to

Remove the current settings of this interface? (This causes a momentary disconnection of the network.) (y/n)

It went straight to Configure IPv4? (y/n) , skipping Configure interface for DHCP.

How can I setup igb0 to use DHCP then? Thanks!

You will be able to get to the GUI if you statically give your laptop ethernet card an address like 192.168.0.100 255.255.255.0 and plug into the 2.5g card. In the olden days youd need a crossover cable and or involve a switch but nowadays i think it auto senses it and you can use a single patch cable.

If your sure the router will also assign your machine the .200 address on em0/igb0 then its not going to kill you by setting the machine up to static with the same address.

These static mappings in the router are controlled by MAC address, so if you havent put the new machines igb0 MAC address into the router then it wont get that address because its looking for the old em0 MAC.

To determine the new NICs MAC address just run ifconfig from a terminal and see igb0 Physical Address and update the static entry in your router. Or delete and recreate or such.

Last edited: