Headless FreeNAS reboots once each time it's powered on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whosmatt

Dabbler
The short version:

I removed the display card from my FreeNAS box to save power. Now, each time the system is started cold, it boots until the NICs are coming up (just until the lan interface starts to respond to ICMP echo requests) and then shuts down (soft power off) and boots again. After the second boot, it performs normally until the next time it is powered off and cold booted. This behavior is so far repeatable.

More info:

It was functioning as expected (no spontaneous reboots) until removing the display adapter.

Software:

FreeNAS-11.1-U5

Hardware:

Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX Pro R 2.0
PSU: Seasonic 650W Gold
CPU: Amd Opteron 3260 HE
RAM: 20GB DDR3 10600E (Unbuffered ECC)
HBA: Dell Perc H310i flashed to IT mode
NIC: HP NC365T (igb driver)
NIC: (unused) Onboard Realtek (re driver)
HDD: 6x HGST 3TB 7200rpm SATA in RAIDZ2 zpool
HDD: 2x Seagate 8TB Barracuda Compute in Mirror zpool
Boot: 2x 8GB USB flash drive

As of yesterday I installed a DB9 serial ribbon connector to the mainboard header so I could watch the boot on a serial console. There is nothing that is apparently relevant in the console output, nor in dmesg that I can pinpoint. As I said the reboot happens just after igb0 begins responding to pings and the console output references starting devd and re0, then it just goes back to GRUB.

This isn't a deal breaker for me since the system functions just fine once it boots the second time; the end result is that a cold boot just takes longer, and those don't happen often. This one happened because I shut it down to install the db9 connector to the serial header.

Anyone seen this or have ideas?

kdragon75

Wizard
I have see this after updates and hardware changes but not every time.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It sounds like it's just a consumer board that doesn't like not having a display adapter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.