Need Help with a Asus M3A78 Mobo + Freenas - Not rebooting after freenas load the kernel

exodius

Cadet
Hi everyone.

I wanted to backup my data from a synology nas to another hardware, and i have a looooot of spare parts, disks....
I want to use my olds hdd ide (got plenty of them).
I need to backup 500GB+ data in those hdd, but i'm tired to plug/unplug all of those in a computer or hdd/usb boxes.
I WANT my backup to be not power on 24/24 7/7. Only one a week to do a diff with rsync.

So i take from my basement :

- Mobo = M3A78 + Athlon X2 64 5000 + 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM
- 2 VIA VT6421 cards
- 500W NAXN ATX Power
- 5 HDD 250Gb IDE
- 1 More IDE HDD to boot up from (i have try USB, but i have loads of IDE hdd so i can spare one for that)
- 1 PCI VGA card (just in case i need to look up at the NAS console)

Mounting everything, added a spare DVD drive to install FreeNas, and everything was working.

Setting up the NAS with wake on lan is working great, i have set up the pool and created rsync, first backup is ok. Setting up all what's needed so the main server can wake up my freenas, backup and shutdown the freenas is ok.

Now here is my problem :

Everytime i power my freenas build, it won't even BIOS POST (not even the 'beeep' from the mobo), and i have to shut it down with the power button. When i start it a second time, it POST ok and go to freenas without any problem or anything.

I have done a lot a of test (i'm on this problem since 2 weeks now) :
Unplugged all the PCI cards : problem is still here.

Ram is ok (checked with memtest, 1 day long without problems)

Changed the ATX Power supply : no change.

The only way i can get the computer to boot everytime is : 1 - Clear CMOS with the jumper and then 2 - Load Default BIOS.
If i do only one, or change the order, the computer won't reboot everytime.

I have unplugged everything, cleared the cmos ans load default bios, and then it would reboot/cold boot everytime OK... Until i load the freenas kernel.

If i unplug the power cord after the kernel is load in memory, then i won't boot, until i power down and then up another time.

I have unplugged all drives, test many many things, but i'm still stuck with that :
If the freenas kernel load, the problem re-appears and i have to shutdown before it boot the next time.

I have done hundreds of power on/off to try to diagnose, and i'm stuck here. Looks like my mobo don't like freenas kernel.

Any advice to solved this ?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I WANT my backup to be not power on 24/24 7/7. Only one a week to do a diff with rsync.
Sorry, that is not how FreeNAS is intended to work. You may need to look elsewhere for a solution.
- Mobo = M3A78 + Athlon X2 64 5000 + 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM
This hardware is insufficient to run FreeNAS, specifically, it does not fulfill minimum RAM requirements.
Please review this documentation:
Hardware Requirements
http://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/
- 2 VIA VT6421 cards
We don't use hardware RAID controllers with FreeNAS. This hardware would be suitable for a Linux installation, perhaps you should look at that option. So, if you have used these hardware RAID controllers, any setup you have made is a bad one that will likely loose your data at some point.
Why make a backup if it is a bad one?
Everytime i power my freenas build, it won't even BIOS POST (not even the 'beeep' from the mobo), and i have to shut it down with the power button. When i start it a second time, it POST ok and go to freenas without any problem or anything.

I have done a lot a of test (i'm on this problem since 2 weeks now) :
Unplugged all the PCI cards : problem is still here.
I have unplugged everything, cleared the cmos ans load default bios, and then it would reboot/cold boot everytime OK... Until i load the freenas kernel.
This is pretty clearly a system board that is not compatible, not everything is, or it is just plain defective.
Here is a link to the recommended gear that is known to be compatible:
FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/
Any advice to solved this ?
Trying to use old, incompatible hardware, is the problem. Proper compatible hardware and following build recommendations is the solution.

exodius

Cadet
Sorry, that is not how FreeNAS is intended to work.

Why not ? FreeNas, like any other NAS, is intended to run arrays of disks to store data.
I prefer using my HDDs to store data, but if you like i can tape them to a stick and use them to paint my house.

Not enough ram ? Free slots on the mobo to add more. Need to see if it's perfectly working first. (And those hundreds forums posts saying it can works ok with 4GB ram....)

VT6421 cards can be, but in my case are not harware RAID controllers. Mine have no bios chip on them.

Old hardware shouldn't be a problem, compatibility can be, but why did it just works when the bios can POST ?
Looks like the kernel is setting up something wrong, that screw up the bios on the next boot.

I have tryed olders versions of the bios, same problem.
The Mobo and other hardware are working ok with a linux live cd or with windows.

I can consider that the Mobo is not compatible, but i have hard time to understand why it can run 24/24 whithout any problems, it just got stuck ONLY after i power down freenas. It won't do that if i run linux...

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Why not ? FreeNas, like any other NAS, is intended to run arrays of disks to store data.
No, because FreeNAS uses ZFS as the file system and ZFS is designed to have direct access to the disk and ZFS is also intended to be a replacement for the hardware Array Controller. Parity and Checksum information is handled by the file system in ZFS. You need to be learning about the system before you go building a server using it.
I prefer using my HDDs to store data, but if you like i can tape them to a stick and use them to paint my house.
That is about what you should be doing with old IDE hard drives. They are not worth the money it takes to power them.
(And those hundreds forums posts saying it can works ok with 4GB ram....)
When were those posts made and what version of FreeNAS were they using and what were they doing with it?
The Mobo and other hardware are working ok with a linux live cd or with windows.
You should definitely pick one of those instead of trying to use FreeNAS. If you can't follow the guides, you should not use the software.
i have hard time to understand why it can run 24/24 whithout any problems, it just got stuck ONLY after i power down freenas. It won't do that if i run linux...
It is called, compatibility. I have many servers running at work and two more at home that have zero problem with FreeNAS. It is not a problem with the software, it is a problem with your hardware.

exodius

Cadet
Thanks for taking care of my problem

Can you please define what you call :

ZFS is designed to have direct access to the disk

You seems to NOT understand that i use pci to sata/ide cards just because the Mobo don't have enough ide ports.

I AM NOT USING RAID FUNCTIONS OF THE CARDS.
They don't have a bios and don't work like you think they are

That is about what you should be doing with old IDE hard drives. They are not worth the money it takes to power them.

YOU ARE NOT PAYING MY FUCKING ELECTRIC BILL. Don't make me lessons on how to use my drives, OR give me free 2 SATA 2Tb.

Who are you to decide on what i should use my hardware on ?

I just came to made something work and maybe look for a BUG ?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
And those hundreds forums posts saying it can works ok with 4GB ram
Quite the contrary, you'll find hundreds of posts telling you it WON'T work with 4GB of RAM. Oh it may start and run but it if you want it to be stable you need to supply the minimum required amount of 8GB. From the hardware requirements page:

Basic Requirements
  • 64-bit hardware is required for current FreeNAS releases. Intel processors are strongly recommended.
  • 8 GB of RAM is required, with more recommended.
  • FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 was the last release that supported 32-bit hardware and UFS filesystems.
  • SSDs, SATADOMs, or USB sticks can be used for boot devices. SSDs are recommended.
  • 8 GB of RAM is the absolute minimum requirement. 1 GB per terabyte of storage is a standard starting point for calculating additional RAM needs, although actual needs vary. ECC RAM is strongly recommended.
  • Directly-connected storage disks are necessary for FreeNAS to provide fault tolerance. Hardware RAID cards are not recommended because they prevent this direct access and reduce reliability. For best results, see FreeBSD Hardware Compatibility List for supported HBA disk controllers. LSI/Avago/Broadcom HBAs are the best choice with FreeNAS.
  • NAS-specific hard drives like WD Red are recommended.
  • Intel or Chelsio 1 GbE or 10 GbE Ethernet cards are recommended.

exodius

Cadet
Please explain me, why the amount of RAM i have installed, is stopping my BIOS to run POST.

I have just tryed Xigmanas, 10 times shutdown via the web page, and WOL 10 times successfully without me having to press my power button ????

WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ALL FOCUSED ON THE RAM ????

Evertb1

Guru
Please explain me, why the amount of RAM i have installed, is stopping my BIOS to run POST.

I have just tryed Xigmanas, 10 times shutdown via the web page, and WOL 10 times successfully without me having to press my power button ????

WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ALL FOCUSED ON THE RAM ????
Shouting does not help. Choosing for FreeNAS is choosing for ZFS. The most important reason people choose for it is the reliability of the file system. To make the most of it and have a robust system you need to respect the hardware requirements. And the memory requirements are very important in a ZFS file system. They are there for a reason. If you need to build something with parts you have lying around that don't answer the requirements then maybe you should consider that FreeNAS is not for you. That does not need to be a bad thing. In the past I have been very satisfied with an OMV box as backup and build with mainly gaming machine parts. Nobody will stop you ignoring all requirements but you will have a hard time getting support from the forum.

exodius

Cadet
As i said, i don't understand why 4-8-2558414555 GB ram as to do with those facts :

- Installed freebsd 11-2 stable. Shutdown and booting ok with WOL
- Linux is working OK
- Xigmanas is working OK

I just got to my basement, grab the 2x2GB DDR2-800 that was on my electronics labs computer, and put it back to my freenas machine. Please note that those ram sticks was inside this freenas computer when i was using it with windows years ago.

Please open your minds, everyone will not just go to clic-buy-run freenas like you want, ppl like me have free time and spare time to try, test and just want to solve software problems they encounter.

If anyone want to tell me why my bios can't post after i run freenas, while the original xigmanas code don't show the problem, you are welcome.

Others should now just think about why it's not working.

This is a real code issue, but you folks seems to just think that HARDWARE REQUIREMENT MUST BE FOLLOWED.

My car is 20 years old, and i can take the highway with it. It's just that i can't drive at the MAX mph, because the motor can't.

F

Evertb1

Guru

exodius

Cadet
GO TO HELL .

Please report me.

Admins : please delete my post

Coders : There is a real bug in your code with handling SB700 chipset. It's in your code and not in the freebsd kernel.

BYEBYE to this closed minded community

KrisBee

Wizard
Is it fair to say FeeeNAS was designed with 24/7 usage in mind? Was WOL ever much of a consideration?

This post https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...it-works-why-it-doesnt-and-frustration.18354/ points out the pitfalls.

For my own HP mircoserver gen8 the "bge" driver is not patched for WOL in FreeNAS, but ilo makes up for that.

Interesting that @exodius should say Xigmanas worked as wanted. So have they patched their kernel/drivers and/or does shutdown sequence matter?