Freenas Mini won't boot

Maleficus

Cadet
Hey, looking for some insight/help into an issue with my Freenas Mini, I've had it for a few years, never had any issues. I powered it down and unplugged the device because I was having some remodeling done on my house, 2 weeks later once the work was done I plugged it back in, hit the power button and... nothing. The fan doesn't spin, it doesn't even try to boot. The lights on the motherboard all come on, the indicator light comes on when i plug in the ethernet, but otherwise nothing happens. At first I was thinking it was the PSU but with the motherboard lights coming on it seems unlikely? I've checked all the plugs on the motherboard, nothing was loose unplugged, the power switch wire is still plugged into the mobo. I don't use it enough to justify buying a new one, but i'd rather not lose all my data and use of the device. Any advice is appreciated.

Redcoat

MVP
Hi, assuming this is a FreeNAS mini based on the Asrock C2750 D4I motherboard, I expect that the motherboard has died as a result of the Intel Avoton fault. There is information in threads here:
https://forums.FreeNAS.org/index.ph...2550d4i-or-c2750d4i-lasted.45445/#post-307647
and here:
https://www.servethehome.com/intel-atom-c2000-series-bug-quiet/

Get in touch with iXsystems and ask about a replacement motherboard under warranty. They have been highly supportive of their customers (I was one) in the past. I have not seen a recent report that I recall.

Good luck.. Your drives (data) should be "good to go" in another working system.

Maleficus

Cadet
I've emailed ixsystems, thanks for the heads up. I had read about the issue and was actually just looking at my mobo model and it does match ( of course). I tried the board with another PSU and it still won't post/boot so that eliminates the PSU option.

Maleficus

Cadet
They offered to sell me a refurbished motherboard with a 3 month warranty for $450, not quite what i was expecting lol. Going to try to RMA the board through ASrock.

Maleficus

Cadet
ASRock wants 240 for an RMA so I guess im going to go board shopping to replace this