All LEDs come on but the Memory ones (and power/HDD light) come on, all fans start, computer doesn't boot

awfulweek

Cadet
Before giving your diagnosis, I want you to take note of the testing I have already done, and note that this isn't a first boot problem, I had been using this computer for a few weeks. RGB parts were selected thinking if something bad happened, they might help with diagnosis, but parts were picked based on on performance

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix I-Gaming X570
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950x
Storage: WD Black SN750 M2., Seagate Barracuda 8TB
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 sticks)
GPU: Asus ROG Strix 2080TI OC
PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 1000W
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40

The Motherboard, RAM, and GPU all have RGB lights. Only the RAMs stopped lighting inside. The power and HDD lights no longer come on.

I tried replugging the CPU and motherboard cables to insure there was a snap, it snapped, but nothing changed. I tried making sure the memory was in securely, but nothing changed no matter how tightly or loosely it was plugged in. I tried reseating the CPU and observed the pins had no visible damage. No change. I checked all the connections to the PSU, no change. I've tested the memory sticks individually and in both slots each, no change. I've tried unplugging all devices not directly connected to the motherboard (so anything using a cable connection), power and motherboard connections, no change. I tried shimmying and unplugging one of the RAM sticks while it was on, and it actually powered off when unplugged (the only other thing I've done that shut the power off by the way, was switching the PSU switch off or unplugging the whole machine). All connections have been checked, no visible signs of damage for any connecting pins.

I first want assessments based on the above information, but there's more that could change your judgement I want for a second answer.

Computer initially didn't have the HDD in earlier, not that I'd expect it to fail to boot because of that, but the HDD had a prior (Windows 10) operating system installed already. To my understanding, Windows 10 automatically installs new drivers when inserted into a new machine from an old hard drive, which I assume is what happened when I first turned it on after adding it. It booted, the HDD write light, which usually comes on very infrequently, stayed on without flashing for an extended period (I came back more than half an hour later to find it still happening) and I heard HDD write sounds. I say I assume, because the graphics card wasn't properly connected to the motherboard at the time, so nothing displayed, and I didn't want to risk anything by trying to plug it in when the computer was on, or interrupt whatever the HDD was doing. When I came back more than another hour even later and the computer appeared to be finished doing whatever it was doing, I tried to power it off by tapping the power button. Nothing happened for a while, so I forced shutdown by holding the button. I wanted to see if it properly installed drivers and would run fine, so I opened the case, re-inserted the video card, noticed I didn't have the thumb screws to keep it properly in position on me, and went to grab them (they were only 4 steps away). Right when I pick them up, the case falls over on its side. I check to see if anything's wrong inside, and none of the actual computer parts seem to have any damage except that the PCI-E lever for the video card on the motherboard broke off, and the plate back-panel on the video card slightly rotated and warped (the card itself looks completely unharmed). Part of the case itself, and the HDD cages located there have also slightly warped, and the HDD rests at an angle. The case can no longer quite be properly closed. While the motherboard didn't appear damaged, it moved by far the most of anything in the case (most of which barely moved), and the motherboard screws all came out (I guess they weren't quite tight enough).

Would any of the information in the paragraph above change your diagnosis?

This all sounds like you have caused physical damage to the board. Does the board post at all with nothing connected but onboard video, One stick of RAM, power supply and processor? (if onboard video available).

awfulweek

Cadet
There is no on board video, processor lacks integrated graphics. And as I said, I tested each memory stick individually and in each slot. No post beeps either.

You have suffered some physical damage for sure imo. If your motherboard screws came out and board standoff shorted something, it's likely done. The ram, the chip, video, psu all could still be ok, but you'll have to have a compatible known working board and power to test it all out.

This could be a blessing in disguise for you as these are all gaming style components which are mostly wasted in a freenas system. Good chance to pick up some server class components.