SOLVED Web GUI so slow its unusable on new installs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blahbber

Cadet
I have two HP 8300 SFF machines (16GB RAM, i5-3470S CPUs, 2x 500GB SSDs), and I am playing with FreeNas for the first time in a lab setup to test it out. On both the machines I did a fresh install to a USB stick, using the two SSDs as storage for each machine. I have not done anything other than set up networking, (no volumes created, no plugins installed, nothing), and the web UI is barely usable. Some screens never update once I make a change, the GUI times out, and when the GUI does work it takes nearly a minute to navigate between screens. This is 11.1 U5 and is occurring on both machines. What could be the problem? Looking at the resource monitor idle CPU time is above 96%, and there is a ton of free RAM, so it isn't a resource problem. I also read on here about some people having this issue when disk groups are being scrubbed, or with a plugin, but I don't have either of those things set up so we can rule that out. It is pretty frustrating.

Blahbber

Cadet
Nevermind. The problem was actually on my network. The two machines I had put FreeNas on used to be ESXi servers that I had cloned to other hardware. The virtual NICs in the new ESXi servers actually retained the hardware MAC address of these two old HP 8300s that I had installed FreeNas on. Unrelated to FreeNas, but in case anyone is interested in the ESXi behavior: I'm not sure why ESXi behaves that way, but there is an option for VNICs use MAC addresses that follow the hardware it is installed on that for some reason is disabled by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.