Wazzup from San Diego,CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

iRefugee

Dabbler
I have been lurking for the past 2 months planning my NAS build with FreeNAS. So finally gave in to signing up with the forums. There are lots of great info and informative people in here. I'm looking forward to sharing my experience with you all. My build will be used for home storage use. It might transform into other uses, but will have to see if other cases are feasible. Thanks for all of guides and information this far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I have been lurking for the past 2 months planning my NAS build with FreeNAS. So finally gave in to signing up with the forums. There are lots of great info and informative people in here. I'm looking forward to sharing my experience with you all. My build will be used for home storage use. It might transform into other uses, but will have to see if other cases are feasible. Thanks for all of guides and information this far.

Welcome to the forums!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Make sure you tell us what hardware you're putting in your build, so we can give you the FreeNAS Community Stamp of Approval (FNSoA).

iRefugee

Dabbler
Make sure you tell us what hardware you're putting in your build, so we can give you the FreeNAS Community Stamp of Approval (FNSoA).
Most definitely. I started a new thread with my build layout. Thanks for the welcome!

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
Another San Diegan here!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You know, @Ericloewe , it might make sense for this to actually be a thing on the forum, complete with .gif.
I've thought about it, but I feel our resident graphics guy/Samba guy should take the lead on that one.

diedrichg

Wizard
You know, @Ericloewe , it might make sense for this to actually be a thing on the forum, complete with .gif.
I'll come up with something. You've already got my gears turning!

iRefugee

Dabbler
Another San Diegan here!
Awesome! I'm in the North county area. Btw, I have this 1u server at home. I don't plan on ever using it. If you want to take it off my hands you are more than welcome to have for Free99. Ha! It's built for VMware I think. It should be fully functional. The front panel says "Dell poweredge" 1950
e0640eb5cc11d8fc8b3a1a3309ca46ad.jpg

diedrichg

Wizard

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
@diedrichg How many man-hours did you put into this, sir. I suggested it on 18 July, which means it is mathematically possible for you to have put in one of those mythical man-months on it.

diedrichg

Wizard
@diedrichg How many man-hours did you put into this, sir. I suggested it on 18 July, which means it is mathematically possible for you to have put in one of those mythical man-months on it.
Haha. Not too long, it has been on my mind since it was mentioned and I thought it would be a fun project to mess around with. I've never made a gif so that was a learning experience. I worked on it Friday and then Sunday.

The initial design was to just use some stock images from the internet but I couldn't find anything free so I decided to make my own in Photoshop. It went together pretty quickly, the slowest part was learning how to make text follow a circular path. I then had to learn how to use After Effects to make the animation and then reimport into Photoshop to make the gif.

Total time? I'll be honest, there was quite a bit of learning new techniques - maybe 6 hours. Some people like to draw for fun. Some like to just watch TV to relax. I like to learn new Photoshop skills.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.