Hardware advice for my first FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

For the past few months I have been planning a FreeNAS build and I finally have a list of components that I believe should get what I need done. I was hoping I could get some feedback on your thoughts and any recommendations if I should change anything. Other than being just a NAS for backup of data I am also planning to install PLEX to use as a home media server as well.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4570 $0
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI $115
RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 $62
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM $70 ( X6 )
PSU: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze $37

I realize a Xenon and ECC ram would be the best option but I already have this CPU laying around and wanted to use it. I also wanted to make the NAS take only a small amount of room there for I elected to go with a mini ITX board and this motherboard was the only one i could find that has 6 SATA ports in that category.

I look forward to your responses as I am eager to start this build but want to make sure I do it right the first time and stay with in my budget.

Thanks!!

Dice

Wizard

gpsguy

Sell your cpu and buy components that support ECC. The i5 doesn't support ECC RAM. Start out with a budget Pentium CPU, like the G3220 or G4400.

Rather than going with the mini ITX form factor, look at a small micro ATX case. You'll have more options for motherboards and cooling will generally be better. Especially if you are planning to start with 6 drives.

In early 2012, I started with a desktop mini ITX system. Six month later, FreeNAS decided it wouldn't work with the hardware. With more money than time, I bought a budget server, moved the drives and boot device and haven't had a problem since then.

... I am eager to start this build but want to make sure I do it right the first time and stay with in my budget.

HeloJunkie

Patron
If you are going to run Plex well, remember that it requires 2000 passmarks per 1080p transcoded stream. This is in addition to everything else the cpu is doing for the freenas server itself. The CPU you selected is only 7007 passmarks and as noted above does not support ECC!

The other thing you may want to consider is your drive choice. Desktop HDD's are usually not designed for 24/7 use and typically do not have the endurance characteristics that are desirable for a NAS environment.

Look into WD Reds or the HGST Ultras.

Status
Not open for further replies.