warden to iocage not until 11.2 - oh boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That's the way it's been since jails inception in FreeNAS. When the base system received a major upgrade you needed to rebuild the jails if you wanted to keep them on a current and supported version of FreeBSD.

I don't know what your expectations are but expecting iX to be able to anticipate every install scenario out there and come up with a way to seamlessly move all warden jails over to iocage without user intervention would be expecting a bit much. The good news is once you migrate to iocage you will be able to upgrade jails in the future without having to re build them.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't know what your expectations are
I would assume his expectations are that the long-promised migration script/function/utility would actually be released and work--because iX have been promising this ever since the change to iocage was announced. It keeps getting pushed back, though.

bestboy

Contributor
Yes, that's exactly right. I believe a basic warden migration functionality can be expected considering this is an appliance.
I do understand that jails could be rather complicated and migration hard to do in all instances. But I kind of expect the migration of typical "single service" jails of the most commonly used ports to be covered.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The migration script is coming with 11.2, when Warden will be officially EoLed. New warden jails cannot be created starting with that version, but old ones will be accessible.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well color me skeptical but I don't see all warden jails being migrated over to iocage without issues. I hope I'm wrong.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well color me skeptical but I don't see all warden jails being migrated over to iocage without issues. I hope I'm wrong.
There will almost certainly be problems, but the expectation is that most simple setups will be moved over fine.

That said, since most jails would have to be rebuilt anyway (thanks, Warden /s), if the script doesn't work, nobody's worse off.

mow4cash

Contributor
I'm on nightlies. Should the migration be available or was it pushed back? I was planning to get off nightlies after the whole iocage switch is done. What would be the best approach to switch to the stable train?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't know for sure if it's supposed to be in already, but I think it isn't and isn't supposed to.

What would be the best approach to switch to the stable train?
Ideally, when 11.2-Beta comes out, it should be a matter of changing trains to 11.2. I'm not sure that's going to be supported, though.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Will the old UI be on 11.2 under a url like /oldui/

adrianwi

Guru
It is on 11.2-BETA1

It starts up the new UI login screen with a link to the 'classic UI' :D

murphys_law

Dabbler
Here we are something like 8 months later still waiting on 11.2 beta 1. I'm hoping it actually gets released on the 20th and doesn't get pushed back again for the umpeenth time. I'm ready to get off of 9.1 so I can update my jails and move on with life.

danb35

Hall of Famer

murphys_law

Dabbler
Why are you still running a five-year-old release?
I avoided the 10 trainwreck and had jails that I wanted to wait to migrate(being that it has been promised forever.) Its either 9.10 or I move to 11, why waste the time and energy without converting jails?

adrianwi

Guru
I've already wasted the time and energy manually recreating everything, which was surprisingly painless, but it has got me thinking more about the conversion tool iXsystems have mentioned several times.

My reasoning was that a script is unlikely to work for all scenarios and it was probably just as easy to rebuild them, given some were not quite as I would have wanted anyway.

But the more I've thought about it the simpler I think it should be. Surely it's not much more complicated than creating a new iocage jail and then comparing the file and folder structures between the old and new, copying across anything that exists in the warden jail to the iocage jail, and leaving anything that's the same and then restarting the jail? Even sounds like something you could do manually using rsync if you knew that well enough?

Or am I missing something and it's really much more complicated?

millst

Contributor
It's more complicated than that. Example. what about files that exist in both, but have different contents? I'd expect the migration script to create an iocage jail with the same set of packages, configuration, etc. Blindly copying a bunch of files targeted at a different release of BSD isn't likely to end well.

-tm

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
PSA: In the nightlies, the script can be found under /usr/local/sbin/migrate_warden

diskdiddler

Wizard
Can I ask a very stupid question in relation to the stuff we've been discussing the last few days, I probably have this answer but I just want to be sure.

Will my Warden Jails simply continue to run, under 11.2 - even if I don't use the old UI manually. Will they be there 'under the hood' working, or will they outright, 100% stop?

In case the script doesn't work, I'd love to run them consecutively and re-build the jails from scratch on the new system, but being able to still pull data from the old one?

Viable? No?

Status
Not open for further replies.