VMs not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewH

Dabbler
Hello,

I'm in the process of building a new fileserver for the small business I work in as a sysadmin. Currently we have a small 2 drive QNAP box they bought before I came here. It has run out of space even before I got hired.
I initially wanted to build a classic linux files server, but the more I read into it the more FreeNAS turned up to be a very good solution for 90+% of my problems.

I've been testing and building/destroying and generally trying to make FreeNAS break inside a VM with virtual drives and I must say I am quite satisfied. My main problem is that I want to offer some more services to the network than just file storage.

I've been trying to get a Ubuntu or CentOS VM running that will act as a basic LAMP service for the handful of web based apps the company is currently using and because I order hardware that is more powerful than the NAS would need it will also be hosting some docker containers for the developers.

My problem is that my VMs won't start, at all. No error message, no warnings, nothing. I click start and when the screen refreshes it still says stopped. I followed the steps present in this resource: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-crashplan-in-an-ubuntu-vm-on-freenas-v11.65/ but my VMs won't start.

After that I said maybe I can get the same basic functionality on the base BSD of freeNAS with a jail but connecting and working with them seems more cumbersome than just starting up a VM.

Is there any way to read an error message to why my VMs won't start? Does anyone else use their freeNAS server to offer other more advance features to the network?

chris crude

Patron
Did you get Ubuntu installed properly before attempting to install crashplan? What happens when you use a VNC to peek inside your VM (freeNAS IP: port#)?

AndrewH

Dabbler
I'm still on the step before installing Ubuntu. I'm not going to install crash plan. That is just the tutorial I used to see how to setup a VM.

VNC says it can't connect to the server. So I can't even install Ubuntu or CentOS or anything at this time because the VM won't start.

chris crude

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.